• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Which multi-fuel heater for this application?

jesusgatos

I've got a propane-fired tankless water heater that I'm going to use to heat my M109. I'll be running glycol/anti-freeze in a closed-loop to provide radiant heat (routed 1/2" PEX tubing throughout the floor in the box), as well a few forced-air heaters/heat exchangers. There will also be a heat exchanger that will me to use the engine coolant as an alternate heat source.

But the theme of this project is OVERKILL, so I'd like to build-in backups for backups wherever possible/practical. I'd like to install a multi-fuel heater, but the question is - which one? I've seen them mounted on the fender, and under the dash on the passenger's side, but I've also built a cabover rack (link to picture - that big white box is a Reddot AC compressor), where I could mount a heater that might not fit in either of those other places. Although everything I've heard about those multi-fuel heaters is that if anything, they put out TOO MUCH HEAT. So I don't know if I really need anything bigger than the standard multi-fuel heaters, but I know there are even a few different types of those. Can you guys please help me figure out what my options are, so I can make an informed decision about which one I should use for this application.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I would look for the fuel fired coolant heater. That way you can have the motor warm when you star it and heat the water for the radiant floors too. I have pics of one in my photo album. Let me know if you need more info on it.

jesusgatos

That sounds like a GREAT option. Also means I wouldn't have to install any additional ducting in the box. Tell me more. Is there a military forced-air heat exchanger that I can plumb into that and use in the cab, or should I plan on figuring something else out? Can the coolant heaters be used while the vehicle is in motion, or they only for pre-heating? What's up with your combined heater controls?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The set I have is meant to go in a cucv. I have yet to get off my azz and install it. I don't think you are supposed to use it while the motor is running, but you could install some valves to turn the ports for the motor off and just heat the radient coolant. The only hot air comming from the unit would be exhaust, I don't think you want that in living space, I think the military ducted the exhaust to the oil pan to warm the oil in cold cilmates. The multifuel hot air unit is available as another unit, but if the motor is warm, just use a regular heater that uses hot water for heat.

jesusgatos

I was thinking about the multi-fuel hot-air, but the multi-fuel coolan heater might be a good option too. Gotta think about this a little bit more, but I tend to get a little carried away with this kind of stuff. Right now I'm wondering if I have enough room for both of them...

dk8019

Jesusgatos,

Those are some of my coolant heaters, if you want one just PM me, I'll give you a much better deal than the ebay price, my wife would like them out of the closet :)

jesusgatos

Thanks for posting! I'm definitely interested. How does the model you have compare to Gimpy's? Is it diesel-only, or multi-fuel? Do those heaters have the wick, or are they the ceramic ones? Do you have any controllers or other stuff I might need to install/use it? Sorry for all the questions, I just don't really know what I'm getting into...

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jesse, the Stewart Warner unit (dk8019's) uses a wick, don't know about gimpy's, but it looks like a Benmar model and in which case it will have a ceramic vaporizer (no wick).
They are both "multifuel".

Last edited:

dk8019

Crane nailed it, right now I just have the heaters themselves, no control boxes :-(

The boxes aren't too hard to locate, I have a few for future projects sitting around.

jesusgatos

So, what do you guys think about using one of these as an alternative heat source for the radiant heating that I've built into the floor of my M109 motorhome conversion? I've got a propane-fired tankless water heater that I'm planning to use as the main heat source, and I'm planning on making some type of heat exchanger that will connect the radiant loop with the engine's coolant system so that I can pre-heat the engine or heat the box while the engine is running, but I like the idea of having a multi-fuel fired backup.

And... would I be crazy to wonder whether I might be able to use another one to heat fresh water for cooking and showering and whatnot?

Do any of you know how much these heaters will increase the temperature of water/coolant in a single pass? Also wondering about the efficiency of these units.

jesusgatos

I got two of those heaters, thinking that I'm definitely going to use at least one of them.

Question: How are these things meant to be mounted? I mean, I know they were mounted in the engine compartment, but to what, and where? The heaters I got don't have any mounting brackets or anything. If mounts are available, I'd like to try and find some. If I need to make them, I'd like to know what the stock mounts looked like. Thanks.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are two typical mounting arrangements, they are held with hose clamps onto cradle like feet, if that makes any sense. The parts manuals will show the items needed.
Most of your other questions should be answered in the article in the Feb 2010 MVM issue.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks