• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Which one to pick?

jmh4x4

I'm looking for a little advice or personal opinion. I just did a preview of a GL auction, and lets say there are two trucks: one that looks good cosmetics and maintenance wise (good paint job, clean, good tires, no obvious leaks, etc) but does not have bows or a cargo cover or another truck that has the bows and cargo cover but is in need of a paint job and some rust removal but appears to be in the same mechanical condition as the other one, just not as well taken care of on the exterior. I'm up to any painting and minor body repair, just wondering should I go with the ugly duckling to get the bows and cover or go with the prom queen but is lacking the extras and aquire them in the future? I would go after both, but then I would really need the cargo covered one to sleep in when I get kicked out of the house :driver:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
You could spend well over 1k for troop seats, bows, cover, etc. But then again you could spend 500. I would see which one starts and runs, maybe even has a good feel on the brake peddle before I cared about anything else.

FreightTrain

Banned
Get the rust free truck.You can get the cargo cover for $150-200 bucks.Side racks and bows for another 200 bucks or less.Hit some scrap yards.Tell them what you want.Many of these trucks get bought up by idiots that just rip the axles and transfer case out and scrap the rest.most of the time you can get the non-metalic part dirt cheap at a scrap yard since scrap yards deal in metal not non-ferrous components normally.

OD_Coyote

If it were up to me I would take a truck that needs mechanical attention over one that has rust. Rust is bad mojo IMHO. I am better at wrenching than I am at body work.

Last edited:

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Go with the clean truck and forget the troop seats. I see you are in MD...if I can help, let me know. Good luck!

jmh4x4

thanks for the advice, always good hearing others opinion. I was leaning towards the clean truck, but was afraid I was letting looks get in the way of completness. Hopefully by the end of the week if the GL Gods are smiling I can become a proud caretaker of one of these trucks. Hopefully third time will be the charm.

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
Bows and tarps are easily found, But not trying to confuse you, but dont be afraid of buying a truck that needs a little paint and cosmetic work. I bought and painted 9 trucks last year, I am not a body man by no means. But they turned out good.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
John has some wise words. Sometimes the trucks that don't look the prettiest say the cheapest and are the best buys. Everyone wants the pretty truck. A friend of mine used to have a saying about picking the best of the ugly chicks early in the evening and that way he would always be guaranteed of ending up with the best of the worst. Everyone has their "method.":wink:

jmh4x4

John, I've seen some of your trucks around town (at the auction last spring at the fairgrounds and at scotty's)and they are pretty good looking so I believe you on that. I think my wife if she ever see's you will have a bone to pick with you since she blames those sitings on me coming down with the green fever. Bruce, great words of wisdom.

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
If I can help you in any way, let me know. Green fever is hard to get rid of, and spreads quickly. good luck.

Racky

Pretty trucks bring big bucks.Ulgy trucks not so much. If possible go and check them out.Look for leaks parts missing if there is a brake pedal. Maybe even start them. When I got mine from Chambersburg listing said truck runs and it was what I wanted. The left front fender had damage and the paint wasnt that great. I wound up with a 1975 M35A2C that must have just been through a major service recently. It had new tops updated fiberglass troop seats 9 brand new tires clean oil.gear oils, antifreeze and fresh grease . It cost me $1832.17 10% auction fee included. It wasnt the prom queen but Im very happy with it.

Racky

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks