• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Which to keep-6.5L M1009 or a 6.2 M1009?

sawgunner1

I purchased two 1985 M1009's. They are both in great shape and run great.

One has a 6.2L engine as normal. The other has a factory NEW, depot installed 6.5 L engine.

The 6.2L has excellent paint, even underneath. Everything works and it's ready to drive.

The 6.5 has a radiator leak and the trans shifts late and hard (vac hose?).

The only reason I'm leaning toward the 6.5L is the engine. It has LOTS more power and is NEW. The 6.2L is drive ready with NO ISSUES at all.

Which would you guys keep and which would you sell?

BTW

The other is already sold. I just have to pick the one I am keeping.

Sorry, I have no pics.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you even need to ask????? 6.5 of course. Even if you have to have the radiator replaced and the transmission rebuilt, you will be happier with MORE POWER.

And.......

nopics

HardCorps79

If you have the know-how and the equipment to do it, I'd pull the 6.5 and put it in the one that currently has the 6.2. If you can't do that, I'd say keep the 6.2 as it has no problems and seems to be the better truck overall. If you're set on the 6.5 either try and fix the leak and trans shift ASAP, or ditch it and find a 6.5L in the crate to drop into the other one at a later date. My $.02

msoumas

The hard and late shift sounds exactly like my truck when it had dry rotted vacuum lines. Check at the transmission, there's a small one there on the passenger side that tends to develop cracks. Mine blew in two altogether and nearly left me stranded.

Rather than swap engines, if the only other problem is a leaking radiator, why not swap radiators?

Chief_919

If you have a GEP built 6.5, keep it and fix the issues with the rest of the truck.

The GEP made 6.5's are the best of the best of the 6.2/6.5 series trucks. When AM General took over production of the engine they fixed all the weak points GM didn't, and now Navistar casts the blocks and they have eliminated the weak points in them.

I have a 2006 GEP 6.5 in my civilian pickup- they are great engines. Keep it.

sawgunner1

Funny!

If you have a GEP built 6.5, keep it and fix the issues with the rest of the truck.

The GEP made 6.5's are the best of the best of the 6.2/6.5 series trucks. When AM General took over production of the engine they fixed all the weak points GM didn't, and now Navistar casts the blocks and they have eliminated the weak points in them.

I have a 2006 GEP 6.5 in my civilian pickup- they are great engines. Keep it.
Funny you should mention that. It does have a GEP sticker on the valve cover stating the engine is emissions exempt.

I just went over both vehicles, including crawling around underneath. The vac hose was indeed cracked and the bottom rad hose had a loose clamp. All better!

The 6.5 has much more power than the 6.2. I hate to part with any of my toys , but the wife's kitchen remodel should give me enough "points" to get that duce I've been slobbering over for 10 years!