• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Which trailer?

warlord381

Ok, so I have a M1009 (recovery planned for 8/9) which trailer would be "correct" for this truck? An M101? Anything specific to look for in a Blazer trailer? I've herd that the larger trailers are a problem for the bumper pintle hook on the M1009. What are you guys towing with the M1009? I'm just looking for a decent general purpose trailer (military of course).

surfdog

Get a m101a3. Readily available at many GL sites for a few hundred bucks.

(the M101a3 has surge brakes and standard 8 lug truck rims)

Barrman

The 101 is technically too big, too heavy and not supposed to be pulled by the M1009 according to the manuals.

That being written, I used my M1009 to pull my M101A2 full of camping gear for a Scout camp out last weekend. I don't have sides, bows or a cover for the 101. So, I put my shade canopy over the 101, set up my cot and had a great open air sleeping area out of the ants and snakes. Spiders still got in.

A M101A2 is down just a little at the front when hooked to a stock tired M1009. I have a picture on my phone, but my phone is out in the parking lot. Hopefully, I will remember and post it up here.

M101 differences.

M101- same bolt pattern as the M37 truck and no surge brake.

M101A1-I don't know the difference between the 101 and the A1 version.

M101A2-8 lug bolt pattern and surge brake, meant to be pulled behind the CUCV trucks.

M101A3-8 lug pattern, offset axles so HMMWV rims will fit, meant to be pulled behind the HMMWV.

2deuce

I pulled a 1/4 ton trailer with my M1009 but it was tied down on top of a car trailer. I'm not sure why the military put such a low limit on towing but it may have been because of the 10 bolt axle and 3,08 gearing plus the lack of braking power. The hitch looks like it can tow much more. Its stronger than a bumper pull. I use a M101a2 trailer at times, but I would not fill it to capacity. They look good together in my opinion.

Wolf.Dose

According to the manual the M416A1 trailer is the correct one. However, traileres with brake may have a gross weigtht up to 2000 lbs without any technically troubble for the M1009. Everything larger is not intended for the gearing, even on short terms it is possible. But with the rear axle gearing you will sooner or later run in problems with the transmission. For the Pick ups a M101 A2 is correct, nothing larger.
Wolf

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks