• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Which tred pattern?

sermis

I am getting some tires for the project 16.00 20's. Which tred pattern would work the best? They are huge but will fit with some faberacation. Will be used for both on and off road. No major mudding, unless I can find a hole.

rizzo

I have the XL's on one of my 5 tons and they seem to work goood. I never drive the xl's on the road. I have the goodyears on the front of my wrecker but only for a week so no experience there.

to sum it up the xl's seem to be great offroad and that is all I know.

jasonjc

I dove alot of 5 ton in the army with the XL and goodyear I don't remeber much dif on road but the xl are better off road. The xl do sound when locked up that I will never forget. If anyone get a 5 ton trator out of ft bragg with claw marks on the passs side dash I will tell you how they got there.

rizzo

Re: RE: Which tred pattern?

M1075 said:
For some reason, people seem to like the XLs better. My preference is the XZL or XML tread pattern.
I would like to get 46 XML's for my deuce. I like that tread as much or better than xl. it has big side lugs and is not directional.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have owned trucks with both the Goodyear 1400 x 20 and the Micheline XL. Personally, I like the XL better because it has a more aggressive tread pattern. I can say that my experience has been that the Goodyear tire wears better over the road, though. I have been told by guys that sell tires to the military that the Micheline XL has a higher off-road rating. Since I don't drive my trucks regularly, I have opted to go with the tire that I think looks better, but, if I was driving it regularly on the highway, I would probably go with the Goodyear tire.

Good luck,
Bruce

Olney, MD
------

1991 M149A2
1989 M932A2
1989 M925A2
1989 M101A2
1988 M977
1988 M105A2
1987 M1045
1987 M105A2
1985 M1009 (3)
1970 M149A2
1964 M129C
1963 M332 (3)

rizzo

after having my 543 in the soft ground a couple times and having my M810 in all sorts of off road stuff, I am buying 4 XL's for the wrecker and will put them on the front two axles and move the good years to the 3rd axle till I get some more xl's

amanco

As far as height goes, the 11.00-16 XL & XZL are the same as the 325/85-16 XML, 38.5". The XL measures 10.9" wide, the XZL is 11.3" and the XML is 12.9" My concern isn't with the height it is with the width. The XML tread pattern seems to be a combo of the XZL and XL. More tread on the ground and great side lugs. I really like the XL but if the XML's fit, they will be my choice. XZL's don't really have any side lugs, more a road tire than a dirt tire. The XML's are 2" wider but you can divide that in half since 1" goes on both sides of the tire. Would 1" closer on the inside be too much?
Gimp, I don't know if that weekend is open or not. As of right now my wife has plans, that may change.

Jones

Michelins are the better choice. There was a bulletin that came down some time back warning that the Goodyears had some flaws that led to sidewall failures and to get rid of them in favor of the Michelins. A sidewall failure is nothing to take lightly but when it's on a 1600X20 the results can make the nightly news.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks