• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Whip antennas and power lines?

linx310

I am planning on puting a AS-1729 Whip on my M1009.

How tall are these things mounted, and have any of you hit a power line or bridge with one?

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tie it down while traveling

..... and remove it before going into the quarter car wash

Last edited:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
The national standard is 13ft 6in high...without permit...period.

If its higher than that it's wrong...if it can be removed...take it off...or as said...tie it down.:driver:

dragon1124

The overall length according to google is 123 inches. As being an amateur radio operator along with running a cb radio, yes you will hit trees, and bridges. I run a stainless steel 102" whip for my cb which is mounted on a chevy cobalt. I hit everything unless it's tied down with the whip clip. Also if you do forget to tie it down and hit a bridge that has open steel on the underside, don't key up. I did that once and fried my cb since I was running an amp at the time.

dc3coyote

Tie it down, it looks much more professional than having the antennae whiping back and forth. Also tieing it down will cut back a little on kids and adults load testing your springs and mount.
I keep mine removed when I dont plan to use them. (I do keep a pair of 48"ers in the back of my trucks for emergencey use.)