• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Whiskey - Juliet NSN Correlation in Sets Kits Outfits

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Suggesting this for the Tech Manuals but it's an information post.

I think I posted something about this many years ago but a quick search turned up nothing. ***Going to try and keep this simple. I know that some of you log guru's out there are going to say..."but in some cases" and "the exception is" etc, etc, etc. Doing this in a broad brush case a lot of the exceptions don't matter in the grand scheme of things***.

While preparing my Common No 1 Torch Set Cutting and Welding, I came across the original paperwork (Linde is the manufacturer L12-840-A) and on the front was

3433-00-294-6743 Generic

3433-01-150-2883 Specific

This is a perfect example of a W - J correlation for federal purchasing. When many of the Sets, Kits and Outfits and/or Component Listings are prepared there a capability is identified and in some cases an NSN is assigned to that capability. As a specific manufacturer item is identified for procurement, a final (item specific) NSN is then assigned.

So in the Common 1 SKO it lists the generic NSN as what is required. If you ordered the item, the box may or may not be marked with the generic NSN. Once you opened it (or even on the outside of the box) you would find a different NSN.

Sometimes in the govt 1+1=3.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks