• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Whistler Turbo For 5-Ton LDS-?

QKA-M35

To all experts,

I can't seem to locate a whistler turbo for a 5-Ton series M52 with All Fuel LDS motor. It is my understanding that the 5 Ton turbo is larger than the very common M-35 2.5 Ton LDT motor yet there is a flang kit available that will allow you to adapt an M35 Turbo to an M52 thus reducing down the airflow? I like the idea of the Whistler Turbo but not sure I will cause damage to motor due to the modified restriction.

Suggestions??

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Honestly, a “Whistler-C” turbo is hard on the LDTs with excessive drive pressure for a relatively low boost output, stressing the weak head gaskets moreso than a D turbo.

Stock for stock, the LDS flows more fuel therefor necessitating a larger turbo to flow higher volume of air. Sure, you can mount up a whistler C, but if you’re taking this truck on the road or working it loaded down offroad it’s going to suffer from the inherently smaller turbo due to it being more of a restriction and EGTs will be higher even when truck is running unloaded. Just some food for thought.

In short, will it work? Absolutely. Is it good for the engine? Not really. Sorry for the tangent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

QKA-M35

I'm happy to report that I located what I believe to be a Schwitzer "Whistler" Turbo #4-456 for a M54 5Ton LDS All Fuel.
Can any experts out there please look at the pic and confirm that indeed is the larger "Whistler" Turbo for the 5 Ton LDS All Fuel? Its the one on the right in the pics.

Attachments

Last edited:

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some turbos have a 'silencer ring' in the outlet, just to eliminate the whistle.

Some of those rings are removable, dunno which.

I always loved straight pipes with turbos, nothing like the 'acoustic applesauce' they produce.

Dennis

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks