• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

white smoke at idle and black smoke when going up hill

welpro222

Is it possible that the IP fuel screw is turned up too high? I installed a rebuilt IP a few years ago from Badger diesel online. I notice it has a little white smoke idling even when warmed up and even the slightest uphill will produce black smoke (not terrible, unless I am towing or have a load in the bed).

Would it be worth the time to try and turn the fuel screw down an 1/8 of a turn to see if that clears it up? I did a compression check a few years ago and it was just fine and I have only put 5,000 miles since then.

This has been this way since I installed the IP, but never really worried about it. But now I want to use it with my camper and don't want to melt the pistons from overfueling it.

panzerwillie

It maybe the Injection timing is retarded, turn the pump towards the drivers side about 1/8 inch , should take care of white smoke at idle and make it a little better all around....

welpro222

I bumped the the timing up a tad more to about 1/16" advanced (drivers side) pass the line on the timing cover, with still the same results. I just don't know if its gonna be safe bumping it to the full 1/8". Truck runs great other then that, it does have a rough idle to it.

panzerwillie

Would no make white smoke at idle, that is not burn fuel from getting injected before piston reach the top of the stroke , of course if it was lite grey to blueish then is not enough fuel which would indicated some IP problem, also keep in mind however did the IP can set the timing on the stand and could be retarded and there would not be enough adjustment on IP bolted to the cover, to go even further maybe injection gear could be off a tooth, which you could never adjust that on the rotation of the IP on the timing cover but rare....
Of course there could be other issues , but every time i seen that even on cummins is always being related to IP timing, best of luck