• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Who has made their Bob a bit longer?

Awesome Possum

I've decided that I'm going to add about 9" to the wheelbase of my bob and wanted to see who else has done it, and why.

My decision was arrived at for several different reasons.

The first of which is that the project has gotten mired almost to a standstill by an injury and over 2 months of 100+ degree temeratures-everyday. I'm using front springs and mounts, and in placing these a little further back I can avoid a lot of extra work by going behind the front crossmember. After FINALLY getting the rear suspension off (having been far more difficult than anticipated), I want to at least get this out of my friend's backyard.

The second reason is that I'd like to add some lockable storage space on the truck and I've come up with the following idea. A rack, made of angle iron, that crosses the back of the cab, about 6"-7" deep and straddles the cab mount, That will allow me to carry the very large ammo/fuse cans like the 120MM AMMO CAN that is 36x12x6.5 and perhaps fuel cans as well. I haven't done a mock-up yet, but I think a locking bar across the top could keep many things secure while maintaining a very military look to it. I do have an M105 bed already for it.

I'm trying to go for a plausible XM381 variant look to it, adding a removable HF hand winch/hydraulic crane (painted a suitable OD), with blind mounting nuts both front and rear, maybe a few extra spares in the back. I'll also be keeping the Michelin 1100R20's on it. Give it the look of a maintenance truck. I do have to maintain it's Military Vehicle plates down here in Texas.

I guess that leads to the third reason, and that is to do something (hopefully) a bit different. I guess I'm in the right hobby for that, anyway. Maybe I shoulda' been booked on Dr. Phil, but I'm stuck with you guys. Whaddya' think?

camoyj7

I didn't change the wheel base on mine. I just removed the first rear axle. It rides real nice with the long wheel base but small parking lots are a pain without power steering.

Attachments

skinnedknuckles

I added 5" to the wheelbase of mine just because it centered the rear axle in the wheel well of the box that I used. Not any real problem doing this since you are already in there drilling new suspension holes. You will need to have the driveshaft retubed to the proper length which any decent driveshaft shop should be able to do for you (this does add some to the total price of the job).
Measure twice, drill and cut once
Paul in Janesville, Wis

jatonka

All 5 of my Jatonka XM35A4 trucks have had the wheelbase increased by 9 1/2 inches. Since 2002 I have been building these on both front springs and the M105 trailer spring packs, including helper springs. Nicer ride and proper body fit, also have done storage behind the cab on some. Forge on, it will be cooler soon, JT out

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks