• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Who would you suggest? GSA or GL?! Prices vs. Vehicle integr

Deuce-bigalo

In my endless quest for your wisdom oh great seasoned SS members, who would you more likely (or like to) do business with, GSA or GL?? I have seen some very decent M35A2's @ the Clearfield, UT GSA location. The prices definately seem less than what goes on with GL, in addition to this benefit I can see is there is no need for the crappy EUC process if you go through GSA (at least from what I have been told!)

Your input is highly appeciated!! [thumbzup]

John

P.S - I also found some manuals for sale I am going to buy, start getting myself up to speed!

CGarbee

Add to what you have noted above about prices and EUC that GSA does not add a 10% buyers premium...
Folks at my local GL yards have better knowledge of the items being sold than the GSA guys, but the GSA guys are more willing to help you get the stuff loaded. I hear a lot of conflicting info on this point, so it really does seem to depend on who is staffing your sites...

I'll take a GSA offering any day over the same truck from GL, but sometimes I just don't have that option...

Deuce-bigalo

CGarbee said:
Add to what you have noted above about prices and EUC that GSA does not add a 10% buyers premium...
Folks at my local GL yards have better knowledge of the items being sold than the GL guys, but the GL guys are more willing to help you get the stuff loaded. I hear a lot of conflicting info on this point, so it really does seem to depend on who is staffing your sites...

I'll take a GSA offering any day over the same truck from GL, but sometimes I just don't have that option...
You said "Folks at my local GL yards have better knowledge of the items being sold than the GL guys, but the GL guys are more willing to help you get the stuff loaded." Was there any meaning for GSA to be in there anywhere? I have watched both GL & GSA auctions and the guys I have talked to @ GSA in Utah seem very friendly, very knowledgable and tell me what needs what on the trucks up for auction! I have not spoken to anyone at GL as I have not figured where I would by from!

I see that in the GSA Utah auction they have a M816? Wrecker and the price last I saw was only $4500 - considerably less than what GL has.

Anyone have buying experience w/ GSA?

Thanks!

John :roll:

cten

The auctions never go up until the last 10 minutes before the end of the auction.

No matter where you buy it an EUC is required I believe as it has to be approved by the Security Exchange Commission or something.

Because of what the truck is....I was told be cause of the forging capabilities.

It is like most places and businesses. Good at one place and not at another.

Wish I could be of more help.

Regards,

poppop

I bought my 813 cargo from GSA. I paid 4100 dollars for it. No 10%, no sales tax and no EUC. The truck was a cream puff. It has a front winch, hard top, brand new block and tow chain in the tool box and the fuel tank was full. Most of the tires were new and the others were not hurt. One tail light bulb was blown and the drive shaft for the winch was missing. They had a nice 5 ton tractor there also which sold a year later. I thougt I might get it cheap also as they listed it as scrap, but someone else had checked it out and it brought 6500 dollars. Gsa gets the pick of military equipment and offers it to state agencies and countys for a price. If no one picks them up in two years then they go on public auction. My experenice with GL has not been bad but it probably depends on the people at each site. When I was at drmo at Fort Stewart a couple of years ago there was two nice dueces on the line. I asked the nice lady in charge about them and she said they were sold but the guy was having trouble getting his EUC. They had been there a year after the sale and had not been touched and she said they would hold them until the paper work cleared. As a side note to this, I also found 12 151 MUTTS there also. I needed lots of parts for mine and it was all there. I asked her about them and she said oh, they were sent here by mistake and we don't have the equipment to de-mil them properly, so we are going to drive a tank over them and sell them for scrap iron. Now that was a heart breaker.

codedsolutions

I buy computer equipment from GSA all the time. Thier prices are way better than GL. Most vehicles are not sold through the gsaauctions.gov site but through the regional on-site auctions. Forest service is where you will find most of the ex-military and off-road type vehicles.

I think gsaauctions.gov is what DRMO should have evolved into.

GSA (General Services Administration) is the logistics arm of the federal government. The deal with procurement and disposal, whereas DRMS deals with used/surplus stuff.

Ironically, I am staring at this through a GSA 21" monitor that I picked up for almost nothing.

Colomil

Calhan, CO

Deuce-bigalo

Well, so it is likely that GSA does not come across as much M35A2 for auction than GL? I see they have quite an assortment of deuces right now, I just hope to have this luck of finding them when I have them money!!! LOL

John

CGarbee

Ok, to correct that typo in my reply way up at the top. I did mean to say that the guys at my local GL site have a better knowledge about the trucks than the guys at the GSA site...

The guys at the GL sites in my area are all ex-military and they are all sited on military bases, so they know what the stuff is supposed to look like and how it is supposed to operate. The guys at the GL sites (spread around at various federal properties that are not military) are for the most part clueless when it comes to the military equipement that has been dropped off.

Also, don't forget your state surplus auctions. Most states sell off the equipment that they purchased by auction as well (DOT/Highway, wildlife, highway patrol, ect.) and some of them have acquired vehicles from GSA for use that is then sold off when replaced or no longer needed. I've gotten some smoking deals on parts trucks that would have made good farm trucks but needed too much work to put back original (had been used on one of the prison farms...).

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With GSA you are dealing with gov't, with GL you are dealing with a business.
I trust the DNR & Forest Service personel that have the vehicle to tell me whats wrong with it far more than someone that's getting a 10% commision from it.

That being said, GSA is bad don't bid on anything they have, especially in Michigan :smilewinkgrin:

Deuce-bigalo

The more I see the more I don't care to take the time to goto a GL site and preview the equipment!. I don't know how often GSA has a run of deuces in the Southwest - I may just purchase one from a private party if the price is right! We will see. I can't do anything until money is in hand though and that will be about summertime. If GL slows down and maybe something might be good during that time. I just have a tough time accepting them getting a total of 30% of the sale.

Thanks for all the help folks! I appreciate your viewpoints!

John