• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Whos is running alternative fuel in their multifuel?

REDLEG_M198

Hey guys. I have heard lots of people claim these trucks can run on straight disel, gasoline, kerosene, motor oil, tranny fluid, veggie oil.... how accurate are these claims and who is running these set-ups and how effective how they. I plan on making the Haspin rally and my brother and i have this wild idea to at least make it there without paying for a dime of fuel. I can start stocking up waste oil from near by farmers and such and could prolly source some veggie oil. Thanks!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I'm not a fan of veggie oil. I ran it once and it turned into goo. Some say that it just cleans the goo out of the system, but I think it was a reaction with the WMO.

eagle4g63

I run mine almost free...right now with winter I thin it a little more for easy starting. But in summer, yeah you can run almost straight wmo(I still put about 10 gal of fuel per tank...depending on how thick the stuff is) Trans fluid on the other hand runs great no thinning needed!! I plan on going to Haspin this year and will be running alternative fuel....Drove to Kentucky and back this fall and l only spent $60 on fuel....gotta love it!

eagle4g63

Also while scrounging from the farmers get you one (or 2) of the large totes from them....they get bulk weed killer and what not in them and usually get rid of them cheap...mine are 275 gal each.

I use one for fresh pick up and the other is for filtered ready for the truck.

dutchguy

I bought my deuce from a guy who ran what he said was straight WMO, or maybe 70% WMO, 30% diesel at best. Made a mess of things, but I don't know how well he filtered it. Now that I've purged it all out, and flushed everything, replaced all filters and so on, truck is a different truck. Running straight diesel with Power Service additive. More power, more responsive, idle is higher and max unloaded rpm is too high. I've got to adjust governor settings. Starts right up now, rather than cranking for 30 seconds. Granted a tank of fuel cost me $170. Maybe if it's done right WMO or tranny fluid would work fine. I would think the source of the oil would be important. If it's "fresh" oil (no 20,000 mile oil), without acids, soot, etc in it, and you filter it properly, then mix it with some gasoline to thin it a little, probably would be fine. That isn't what I would call free. Just my 2cents

197thhhc

We run 45 gal of wmo and 5 gal of gas to thin it a little for winter. Have over 6000 miles on the truck. Runs like a top.Filtering is the key. We also change our fuel filters when we change oil and filters. Right now our cost per gallon including filters and gas is less than 70 cents.

joshs1ofakindxj

My waste oil fuel with the cost of the filter stand I made and 10% pump fuel mixed in is about $1.25 a gallon. As I use more that number will go down. Also you probably should be remitting a road tax to the state for using your own fuel. It is $0.38 per gal of fuel used in PA.

Check out dudadiesel.com for cheap filter socks for gravity filtering oil.

I just started running WMO so no word on long term effects or really noticeable difference in performance. I'm adding a boost gauge and pyrometer soon so I can adjust the fuel screw and maximize power.

6x6TRex

I had ran straight UNfiltered WMO for almost 1000 mi in our deuce and had NO problems. It would smoke a little at start up, a little bit more when I turned the fuel up.

I stored all of my fuel for the deuce I collected in a 55 gal drum and at one point have ran a mix of off road diesel, hydraulic fluid, ATF, WMO, kerosene, gas, and diesel.

I always made sure I got clean used oil with no antifreeze/water mixed in with it. I poured it into the drum and let it sit for a week or so to settle out before I put it into the deuce. And I always drew from the top third of the drum, never from the bottom.

panshark

When I've run WMO, my engine has run a lot quieter. Not a quieter exhaust necessarily, but it cut engine "chatter" down significantly. An issue that you might deal with is "how much is too much" with regards to the thickness of your fuel. No one here complains about too thick fuel in July, the heat makes it flow pretty smoothly (assuming your filters aren't at the end of their life, and you've taken reaonable efforts to put clean fuel into your truck.

If you're starting to experiment with WMO in the winter or spring, I recommend not filling the tank completely up with oil. I've put WMO in my tank and wasn't able to get the truck revved up enough in 4th to shift into 5th. There simply wasn't enough power. But because my tank was only partially filled, I stopped at the next gas station, added 10 gallons of gasoline, and headed for the hills. That gasoline thinned out the oil so that it flowed really well (always consider your ambient temperature), and the truck ran like a top.

There's been conversations about mixing diesel with gasoline, a lot of guys have figured out that running the cheap alternative (gasoline) lowers your MPG, due to less BTU's in gasoline etc. Gasoline is useful in Oil blending applications due to it being a "somewhat safe" thinning agent.

If you decide to run a variety of fuels in your duece, remember to search for "manifold heater nozzle" and "identify this part? There is fuel leaking onto my turbo, I'm afraid I'm going to catch my truck on fire." You most likely will need to address a recalcitrant O-ring in the future.2cents

Towing in Arizona

We run a mixture of wmo and wvo at the towing company, and I also use that mixture in the multifuel. I have had no problems with it, but we run a 75% diesel to 25% biofuel mix due to the limited supply of wmo and wvo, and the fact that I go through a ton of fuel running 6 tow trucks.

joshs1ofakindxj

How do you process the WVO? Filter it like WMO? Put in special additives?

I too, have heard about it making sludge in the system, so I haven't used the few gallons I have.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks