• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Why is my coolant WHITE!?

Pawnshop

The coolant in my Deuce has turned a milky green/white color. It tested good to -25, and felt like the correct viscosity, just went milky. It was bright and clear for the last two years, this is a new development, and YES my oil is still black. Any ideas?

armytruck63

Old-school: My dad adds water soluble oil to the coolant on his GPW for water pump lubrication.

If you haven't added any oil, then like blood says, it's probably coming from somehwere.

Pawnshop

It does not look like a milkshake and there was no opalescence on the ground when I drained it. looks like watered down milk. This is a krappy cell phone photo I took after the coolant drained out and I was flushing it with the garden hose. It took a while to get the water to flow clear, I think it was something that had built up in the radiator, looked like hard water deposits.

Attachments

You might also want check the color of your motor oil. (edit: sorry, I saw you confirmed that already)

In regard of checking the oilcooler, what can be checked there, and how can oil enter the water system from there? Just wondering.

Cheers,
Mark

Last edited:

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In regard of checking the oilcooler, what can be checked there, and how can oil enter the water system from there? Just wondering.

If there is a leak in the cooler, and your oil pressure is higher than the coolant pressure. Most systems are designed to do this- oil in the coolent isn't nearly as detrimental as coolant in the oil.

Bill W

Put some of the emulsified coolant in a container and let it settle for a day or so and see if any oil is floating on top

Changing the oil cooler gaskets/o-rings ( 2 o-rings & 2 gaskets ) was the first thing I did on my deuce when I got it being it was as simple as changing out the thermostat... which I did next .. after doing the waterpump also :mrgreen:

Attachments

Last edited:

stumps

I vote you don't dump your used coolant on the ground. Be a little responsible and take it off to recycling. Do this if only to save your own pets. Dogs and cats love the taste of antifreeze (it's very sweet), and it takes very little to kill them (one small saucer). It causes total kidney failure... probably the most painful way to die... ever had a kidney stone? This is worse!

-Chuck