• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

wider beadlocks

tobyS

The standard beadlocks seem to be around 8" wide for the 10" wide (20" dia) wheel.

Has anyone seen a 10" wide beadlock? I'm working on the possibility of putting a 12" wide rim together.

tobyS

Here is a comparison of the 450/80/R20 to the Mich 14.00.

Notice the rim that the tire is on has a dished ring on the front and the rims that I have are almost flat. The tire rim has a 9" offset and the rim I have has an 11" offset. If they mate, both being a 20 bolt and my rim being 11.25 bolt circle and 8 5/8" center, I can combine them and have a 12" rim.

The tire is 16" across the width of the tread and 18" across to the outside. From military, that tire is on a 10" and has 4" of overhang on both sides. I'm proposing a 12" rim and having 3" over. Please comment, since I have not seen much discussion about these tires and want opinions. I've been warned about mixing rims parts, but look at these to see why I think they will work...the only difference is the offset from what I can tell.

But with 2" wider may also need wider bead lock...but more on that when I open one up.

Attachments

Andrmorr

Any updates on these tires and your rim experiment?
Concerning your wider beadlock question...
If you get some beadlocks for 16r20 (Hutchinson part number B-3040) you could make your own custom fit beadlocks... they are sheetmetal with rubber edges...if you get several extra, you could cut strips out of the donors and add them to the others to make them what ever width you need with some simple welding...here's some pics to help illustrate...there is someone in TX selling pallets of them on Ebay right now...sure wish they were closer to NC since I need several myself...

Attachments

Last edited:

tobyS

Thanks Andrmorr. I haven't updated the thread. I understand what you are saying. I'm a descent welder and could do it myself. I have access to a roll also.

But I bid and got some Hutchinson rubber ones. Ill go get numbers and dimensions.

Okay, they are; Hutchinson 20x11 with a number AMG RCSK15406. I think they are for the M35A3 wheels, but not sure. They measure 10" wide so should work perfect for my wheel/tire project. And I have 2 A3's at the moment, hoping to move one.

Here is the rim that combining the two wheels makes (photo). I have 4 of them at the machine shop to fit the o-ring, machining the outer ring about 1/4" shorter. I'm short of cash because I purchased an M929A2 (and its coming today), so am not pushing the wheel project ahead yet. These sand trails with chains (which I have) should make a combination to float, but dig in too.

I notice your 930 has troop seats. So does mine and no scratches in the bed, if the photo's didn't hide them. One seat and the cover were in the bed. Has 8968 miles. Here is a couple photos.

Attachments