• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Will a Deuce fly on JET FUEL?

deuce.5

[color=orange>I] I'm pretty sure jet fuel is like an extremely high grade of kerosene, but what about the anti-icing additives? Would this type of fuel be unadvisable to put in a duece? I don't know much about the lubricity, either-it would probably have to be cut with motor oil or something. Should I save it for the reddy heater? Any thoughts on this would be most appreciated![/color]

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
I have a buddy who told me they used to put jet fuel in the dueces when he was in the marines. He said it would shoot flames out the exhaust at night. Dont know how much is exaggeration but I dont think I'd use my truck as the ginea pig.

Low-Tech-Redneck

I think there's a warning on the dash of our deuce, right below the list of approved fuels that specificly singles out "aviation gasoline" as somthing you SHOULDN'T use, but, "jet fuel" may be another story

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hi Guys,

I'm a newbie, I've been lurking for a while, but I saw this post and felt I had something to contribute.

My Dad was in the Army '64-'67 in Germany (7th Army, 54th Engineer Battallion) and he said more than once they ran jet fuel in their Duece's (A1's, 427's) and they had a 4 foot long blue flame coming out the exhaust pipe.

He said he didn't remember power of driveability being affected, but being told it was bad for the multifuels.

I use to read the Green Six forum, but I guess all you guys have moved over here.

I don't have a deuce yet (I close on my first home in about 3 weeks, so now I have somewhere to put one), but hopefully I'll get around to it soon enough.

Clinto

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is it? Jet-A or JP-8? There is a data plate right on the dash that tells you what you can run. Avgas is bad but jet and turbine fules shoud be just fine. Wish I had a supply of either!

Desert Rat

D.5,

If you are unsure just take a trip to your local oil change garage and ask for some used motor oil. Strain it through several coffee filters to eliminate metals and heavy particulates and add it to the jet fuel. This does two things. First it lubes your fuel injector distributor pump beautifully. Second, it cuts the volitility of the fuel (unless it's JP-4 or JP-8 which are close to diesel fuel anyway). Be sure your fuel density compensator is hooked up and running!

baja_power

Desert Rat said:
Be sure your fuel density compensator is hooked up and running
Good point. Our first Injection pump was converted to diesel only. Glad that I noticed that before i did something bad.... New pump is set up to be a multifuel so we are good to go [^]

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The compensator only alters the amount of fuel supplied based on its density. This is done to keep the power output of the engine reasonably constant when using fuel with less "heating value" than diesel. It does absolutely nothing to the engine's ability to burn whatever fuel is dumped in its tank.
With or without the compensator hooked up you should be ok with various blends of fuels.
Just because a fuel is free doesn't mean that you have to run on straight kerosene or gas or whatever, just mix it with diesel to reduce the overall cost.
I have occasionally mixed gas, kerosene, chainsaw gas, cooking oil (fresh and used) and biodiesel with petro diesel for my deuce.
I think it's important that the engine gets to work hard from time to time. Sort of "clear the pipes". If you just start the engine and run it 15-20 minutes a week, I'd stick to diesel for fuel. To use alternate fuels, do take the truck for a good run now and then. You may notice that it will smoke a bit even at operating temp at first (first 5 miles or so at 2,200 plus rpm), but after that the engine will start to come alive. The multifuel engine is designed to work hard and loves it.

jasonjc

OK guy I got out of the army in the mid 90's and all we use in ALL trucks includeing hummer duesc 5ton cvcv helicopter was JP-4 then they changed to JP-8
no flames no tries smoke'n brun out work about the same as deisle

Jason

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
TM 9-2320-209-10/1 lists commercial avitation fuels (JET A and JET A1) as permissible fuels. FM 10-70 lists MIL-J-5624 (JET A) as kerosene-base. I would cut it with diesel and or used motor oil to offset any pump lube worries. Lucky you! I cut diesel with used motor oil to help with my fuel costs.

Pappa-G

I've run JP8/JetA in my M185. The only difference you will notice is the slight drop in power. For all practical purposes JP8 and JetA are identical, they are some 90% kerosene and the remainder is napatha (according to the MSDS) Most Army aviation units that I know of use JP8 in all thier stuff from heaters to trucks and aircraft. If its free use it. [^] [^] [^] [^] [^] [^] [^] [^] [^] ~Pappa-G

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We have run JetA in our military trucks, 1155 Massey with a 540 Perkins Diesel, and my Cummins Dodge. I, too, had access to sumped fuel as a pilot at the local airport, but good old EPA has now decided that here at least they have to dispose of it in their approved and more expensive way. I don't want to get started on my opinion of that agency!! We have never run it without mixing with diesel or adding some engine oil to enhance pump and injector lube. I also recycle my used oil through the multifuels, adding some to each tank of fuel with no problems.

flight2k5

All "jet fuel" is, is a little higher grade diesel fuel. In the navy, our equipment has stenciled on it "jp-5 or diesel fuel#2" Yes you can run a Duece on jet fuel. Aviation gas is another story. That has a high octane rating.

flight2k5

It is safe to run :jumpin: diesel engine on jet fuel. All jet fuel is, is a little higher grade diesel fuel.

Nevada, U.S.A.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks