• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Will an M416 fit in my truck bed?

kyhokie

My Dad has given me an m416 that he has had on his farm for years. It's in great shape, but needs a little love before we haul it several thousand miles next summer.

I would like to put it in the bed of my extended cab silverado to haul it back to Virginia. Will it fit? Searches (here and Google) have yielded varying answers.

Thanks in advance!

Asgar

I saw someone load one at a rally into a short bed full size pickup. It fits fine in the bed, put the ring facing the back of the truck. The big risk was that to fit perfectly the trailer wheels had to be on the pickup bed wheel wells, if you put the trailer wheels to the back, the trailer was too far back, if you put it to the front, the trailer was right up against the glass of the pickup cab. Also, if you let the trailer tip down the bottom back corner of the trailer wants to go through the glass of the truck again.

If I had to do this and I had a farm tractor/loader I would try flipping the trailer up side down and laying it on some cribbing so it sat level at the hieght of the wheel wells of the pickup bed.

If this does not sound so hot, at least bring a piece of plywood to lay at the front of your bed to cover the entire cab back and cab window so when you bump it during loading it does not break.

The guy I saw just laid the toung on the closed tailgate and used a large rachet strap to pull it fully backwards away from the cab glass and did not seem to have any problems after that.

Last edited: