• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Will help retrieve son's M35 in SC today

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Short notice, will be leaving in a couple of hours heading for Eastover, SC to help Adrian get his first M35 home.
It "starts and runs" according to GL, so we'll see, loading lots of tools and supplies. Don't know the details of the sale, but he got all necessary papers from DMV yesterday for the drive home.
I'll be driving the chase car, his F-150. Should be on our way North on I-77 by 11 hundred hours or so.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good luck Bjorn. Tell Adrian I said hi. Maybe I can twist your arm now to come to the rally with Adrian. I promise we will be good hosts.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Arrived home about two hours ago and Adrian is happy, although we had a few small problems.
We ran into Adam (Ferro) while picking up the M35, he was helping a friend get an M109 and an M35 home and in the process ended up helping us as well. The brakes needed bleeding on Adrian's truck, but we weren't allowed to do that on the site, so Adam offered to tow it to a nearby gas station were we did the job in short order using the "insect sprayer" pump method (yes, I brought it along).
The truck also didn't have any batteries, so we installed the ones we had packed.
The truck runs beautifully and Adrian enjoyed the drive even with the front end shimmy, which we couldn't fix. The alternator failed on the way as well and had to be disconnected... A few pictures below.

Attachments

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
BJRON, behind you in pic #7, is a ABLV (armored bridge laying vehicle) was that up for bid or was sold at bid????

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bjorn, that's the first pic of you I've seen outside your area of operation, in years. It will do you well to come out and get some sun. Maybe we can twist your (or Adrian's) arm and get you guys down to the rally for a day or two. I'm sure everyone would take good care of you guys! Glad everything went well!

Orionspath

There is truly nothing like the adrenaline and satisfaction of a SUCESSFUL RECOVERY! No matter how many times you do it!
Congrats to Adrian.......May be heading for a recovery in the coming weeks myself. Great pictures as well. Thanks for keeping the rest pumped up!

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
BJRON, behind you in pic #7, is a ABLV (armored bridge laying vehicle) was that up for bid or was sold at bid????
Here is a better picture of the piece, Ron. They had an Abrams in the shop too and one of the M89 (?) monster retrievers moved around with an impressive roar...loved it.

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bjorn, that's the first pic of you I've seen outside your area of operation, in years. It will do you well to come out and get some sun. Maybe we can twist your (or Adrian's) arm and get you guys down to the rally for a day or two. I'm sure everyone would take good care of you guys! Glad everything went well!
You are right, I do need to get out more. I have let myself run down lately and that's not a good thing.
Adrian only had paperwork ready for the pick-up (3 day limit) from the DMV and the truck will need some maintenance, like the alternator and the shimmy problem, so we'll be busy around home base for a while...another excuse for not going anywhere, I suppose...
The silicon rubber O-rings for the 8x8 oil cooler should be here in a day or two and I hope to be able to get it back together soon.

Well, thanks for the invite, don't know yet. Adrian says hi.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bjorn,
Nice to finally meet you in person and Adrian. Glad the trip was uneventful. I wanted to come over and chat with you some more but I was already running late.

Always a pleasure helping someone out. Did that fella with the blown oil filter get it fixed before you left the gas station?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bjorn,
Nice to finally meet you in person and Adrian. Glad the trip was uneventful. I wanted to come over and chat with you some more but I was already running late.

Always a pleasure helping someone out. Did that fella with the blown oil filter get it fixed before you left the gas station?
It was good meeting you too Adam, guess you carry that towbar like most of us keep a pocket knife handy. :)
Yeah and of course, we appreciated your help.
The man ("Gabriel" (?) on this site) did not return before we left. For a moment I thought that I had brought along a spare oil filter with gaskets, but not so. He was going to cut a replacement from some NAPA gasket material, which should get him home.
Hope your retrieval went smoothly as well.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are right, I do need to get out more. I have let myself run down lately and that's not a good thing.
Adrian only had paperwork ready for the pick-up (3 day limit) from the DMV and the truck will need some maintenance, like the alternator and the shimmy problem, so we'll be busy around home base for a while...another excuse for not going anywhere, I suppose...
The silicon rubber O-rings for the 8x8 oil cooler should be here in a day or two and I hope to be able to get it back together soon.

Well, thanks for the invite, don't know yet. Adrian says hi.
Well, as usual, my door is open. The cabin is full but if you guys came down you would be more than welcome to use our facilities for showering and the like. Doesn't matter what you drive either. Many many folk have benefited from your work Bjorn and I think the hospitality of the group would more fulfill your needs. No pressure but if you have the time and enough cash for the fuel to get there, we would gladly take good care of you and Adrian.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bjorn, think of it this way, it is a perfect reason to meet some new friends and check out the 8x8 at SECO. It's just down the road!:shock: Just junp in a honda or whatever and head down.:driver: