• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Willys Trailer

1943ht

Brother in law sent me this Craigslist listing yesterday from CO, contacted owner in CO and picked it up for a very reasonable price .. not seen one like this before. Has anyone seen one of these Whippet trailers or have one like it? Not finding much info on the net .. any assistance much appreciated.

Willys Whippet.jpg

1931 Willys Whippet Trailer
Early military type trailer?
Was built with Willys Whippet Truck parts by International Trucks
Has International Harvester manufacturing tags still on it, as well as the Whippet hub flanges on the axles.

gerrykan

Most likely it is a trailer 'salad', either homebuilt, or made by a small shop out of used parts.

I am no early Willys expert, but I don't think they ever used that type of wheel.
The axle is most likely a mid to late 1930's Ford with Willys Whippet hub caps on the axle ends.
The builder probably utilized Ford's torque tube as the trailer tongue.
torque tube Ford.JPG
Source: http://www.drillist.com/post/1940-Ford-Banjo-rear-axle-torque-tube-new-brakes/1821

The bed may be off of an International truck, hence the reference to the International tags.

The fenders look similar to those used on Spen trailers.
They could be homemade, but appear to have a rolled bead on the outer edge that most home builders would not be able to duplicate.

You said it was reasonable, and I like stuff like this, so I would have bought it too.

1943ht

$300 ...going to see if I can get a couple of more pics from the gent there ..especially the data plate, would be nice to see a pic of the hitch end, a shot of the frame, and a close up of those wheels ... Willis made lots different vehicles back in the day ..who knows ☺ ..will not see it until Feb as it is being shipped to my place in WI and I'm in school in PA.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks