• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch brake

kipman

My first winch, it works fine but the brake assembly is a mess, OK how does the brake work, what problems could I have if the brake was not working? When does it engage?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you read the operators manual? There are two brake assemblies and they both are "on" all the time.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The winch operation is described in TM 9-2320-209-10-1, on page 4-58. The parts manual is, TM 9-3830-206-34P, it has exploded drawings of the winch components. Both TM's are here on SS under references in the TM section.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No prob! Just a quick explanation, The cable spool(drum) brake pad is meant keep the cable from free spooling when the spool engagement lever is disengaged. The drive line band brake is meant to keep the winch from turning while under a load when you shift the pto out of gear(ie. putting it in reverse to unwind). Do not try to operate the winch with the drum engagement lever. Read the TM's and ask anything that isn't clear to you before you operate it. Winching is a two person operation.

kipman

I assume when the winch clutch is in, all operation is from inside the cab, I will put on the winch next saturday and play with the controls with no load to start with, hope to have it for haspin.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds good! Hope to get to use the winch with you at Haspin, someone or something is going to need a pull! :wink:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks