• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch disassembly

red devils dude

I've made it to the point point of removing the worm gear per TM 9-2320-209-34-2-3 page
18-2 Frame 8 it say's " Using rawhide mallet, tap gear end of drive worm (3) untill front
ball bearing (4) is free of gearcase (1) and take bearing off drive worm"
but I cant move it any which way any one done this that can tell me what to or what I'm doing wrong.

devilman96

That thing is a pain in the arse...

The shaft gear has to be removed or at least the shaft moved out from the worm gear before the worm can come out. Once you have the clearance you should be able to knock the worm out of the casing... After that is out of the way the worm and bearings should slide out of the case as one hunk...

Mine took a WEEEEEEEeeeee but more than a rawhide mallet to get out... more specifically I had to beat the ever living snot out of most of the winch in the process of disassembly!!! Not my "norm" for taking things apart but it had gotten water in it and was rusty... I was making myself sick thinking I was going to destroy something in the process as I was slamming the assembly on a piece of carpet for 20 minutes trying to knock the shaft out of the spool...

rdixiemiller

If everything is in good shape, you can lock the winch spool in place with the lock, turn the worm shaft by hand in "power out cable" direction, and the worm will push the rear bearing out of the case and you can "unscrew it" from the bull gear.
That is assuming everything is clean, oily, non corroded, etc.
Usually it is a bit more difficult. Hold pressure on the worm gear and apply force liberally with a dead blow hammer. Heating the aluminum case with a heat gun will sometimes expand the housing enough to help a little.
Arbor presses help to remove the shaft from the spool. they can be a bit recalcitrant, to put it mildly.

houdel

A suitable amount of C4 or dynamite might help. It has worked 100s of thousands of times to disassemble supposedly unassembelable parts!

red devils dude

all is perfect except for the main shaft but there's a problem my winch IS OLD like 1950's old and never really got
used but the "bull" gear has a cut out the worm ride's in so the worm has to come out first and because the
winch is almost all the way apart RDM's method wont work so time for some fun.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks