• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch drain plug tool size?

JCKnife

Tried a search, came up empty. What size hex-head is needed for the deuce winch drain plugs? Running a tape measure across the opening looks like 11/16" but I'm thinking it may be 5/8"?

At the price of these, I'd rather not buy more than one!

Darwin T

i just bought one about 2 or 3 months ago, but don't have it here. i think it was 9/16". i bought 2 and cut about an inch off the end of one and use it with a 1/2" drive socket to get better leverage.

however the winch one my other deuce has a plug with a square tool hole. so you may just measure to get it right.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Joe, you got a tractor supply down there? I bought a set of super large hex wrenches from them for about $25 a couple years ago.
Edit, some large allen wrench sets on egay.

Last edited:

roady

I just ran into this problem myself this weekend. I stopped at Home Depot and got 2 rod couplers in one package for a 1.20. They are by the threaded rod if you go there looking for them.

armytruck63

Yep, 9/16 ". On my current deuce, all of the plugs have a 1/2" square female drive hole (OK, that sounds bad, but you know what I mean).

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
One thing I would do with ALL gear box plugs is make SURE ALL are MAGNETIC, if thay are NOT, replace with MAGNETIC, this is VERY CHEAP INSURANCE

JCKnife

Go buy a 3/8" all-thread coupler.

Coupling Nuts | Fastenal

This was brilliant. $1.20 for a pack of two at Home Depot. Just to be safe I threaded a 3/8" bolt into one, because my plugs were REALLY frozen and I thought it would minimize flexing of the tool. Soaked in PB Blaster overnight and used a 3' pipe for a breaker bar, and they opened right up. Thanks, doghead!

JCKnife

Ah, I spoke too soon I guess. Still can't get the bottom plug on the clutch side. Will try again when I get it all apart and maybe I can put that end in a vise or something. Was able to open the top plug on that side and it looked pretty dry in there. Little concerned about that.

mudguppy

i needed to use the 1/2" breaker bar w/ the 9/16" hex socket - couldn't budge it w/ anything shorter or even the air impact.

TsgtB

Old Post.... but can you buy these winch plugs? Mine are 3/8" square.
I did get one loose on the top, the other top is soaking in PB, after some paint remover, and a couple of broken tools. aua

TsgtB

Also posted in the "what have I done with my deuce today", but I wanted to note here also, that I was successful with my efforts to get the winch fill plug out. Now I have another custom deuce tool.