• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch extension info

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is what I have. The holes dont line up quite right, but I also have later model truck with not the normal handles, but some strange new style HD curved style.... Anyone got any ideas???

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thats the right extension Mark. Disregard the handle for now and see if everything else lines up.

m35a2cowner

bracket

That is a bumper extension, see picture above. If I remember correctly, there is a left and right. The winch brackets sit on top of this bracket, the winch bracket can be seen in the picture. Use small bolts to attach the brackets (except where the only thing that works is a long one). I made the mistake of buying long bolts (Big $$$) when short ones were what is called for. I think there are some additional brackets or gussets that add strength to the end of the bracket and bumper.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What would really be great is some pics of the INSIDES (like taken from where the winch sits and looks out to the brakets)... I have lots of the OUTSIDES of the brackets (see attached pic) and what they look like, but could use some of the insides.. Hopefully that makes sense..

Attachments

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jason,

That helps, but can you shoot a few more that detail the "grab handle" thats mounted on the frame? Should be a U bolt type of deal. You can see one of the nuts that secure it on, the other nut is the one Im interested in.

Thanks!

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Readyman,

That was EXACTLY what I needed.. Seems the curved "teardrop" handles that are on the 1988 M35A2C's arent as big as the older "flattened U" handles..

Thanks!

Mystery solved!

I'll post a better pic tommorrow, but these are the kind of teardrop "handles" we have on your frames.. (Partially visible between the rearmost spring and mud flap in the first picture) Older trucks have the Flattened U shaped one as pictured above.

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mark, the hole spacing on my truck is aprox 4.5" on centers. Sorry it's approximate, it was raining approximately 1"/hour as I checked them! Mine of course is the other kind of tie-down point(the squared cornered u-bolt).

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some more useless info..
According to TM 9-2320-361-24P Dated AUG 06, there are several types of front bumper plates listed..

Here are my "real deal" findings after some research on them:

On NON winch trucks, the plates are the same top and bottom (but not side to side) and are interchangeable from to to bottom. Meaning you can take a top drivers side bracket and flip it over, and put it the bottom passenger side, and vice versa.

On WINCH trucks, the only difference for the top brackets from NON winch trucks is the winch trucks have an extra piece that is the base for the tie down bracket. It is rectangular, has 2 holes, and is welded on. The bottom brackets are the same as NON winch trucks. The function of the extra piece is to "fill in the gap" that exists so the tie down brackets sits flush on the top of the bumper. On non winch trucks, the tie down bracket rests on the top of the bumper and the bracket that holds the brush guard on.

Hope this saves some people the time it took me to get the real deal info from decoding all the different NSN's listed for them.

Bottom line, if you want to add a winch to a non winch truck, weld on the rectangular brackets to the top plates, and your good to go if you cant find the "real" winch bracket plates.

Attachments