• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch install - which TM?

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am ready to start installing my winch. JUST the winch right now, no PTO, no shaft - frame extentions and the winch. One piece at a time, just like Johnny Cash. I have most of the bolts figured out, Jim gave me some great advice, but I would like to have the TM right there. Which TM (and yes I've looked) has the best section for this? Also, after mocking it up, it looks like I need two bolts about 10.5 inches long. I appears the clamp the frame extentions together, but I sure would like to see a pic in the TM. Thanks.

LanceRobson

I suspect none of them deal with the initial installation. If a winch was added after manufacturing the truck, the winch kit would likely have come with a cut sheet set of installation instructions just like a heater, hard top, air shift transfer kit etc.

If you have or can borrow a winch equipped truck to have as a handy reference, it'll make life much easier.

If you haven't done so, take the time to drain the gear housings, flush them and fill them per the 10 TM. Set it level, turn the input shaft enough to rotate the drum and let it sit for a few days. If it leaks, fix it now or you'll be pulling it off the truck to fix it later.

Check this thread:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/25592-winch-swap.html?highlight=winch+swap

It mentions some 12" long bolts. Be aware that the GI bolts have a long threaded shank and commercial bolts usually only have a few inches of thread. My 12" bolts did not have enough thread. Ten inch bolts barely made it with only a turn or two of thread exposed below the nut. I coludn't find 11" bolts or I would have chosen them.

I got grade 8 cadmium plated bolts special ordered from the local Fastnal dealer and the local industrial fastener outfit. They are pricey but work well and will still come apart in 20 years, if needed. I used all new hardware on the bumper, too.

Memphis Equipment was my source for both thick and thin PTO gaskets.

Cut a piece if 1/4" plywood about 21" square and slide it down behind the radiator brush guard to protect the radiator from slipping wrenches etc. It will sit on the lower lip of the radiator, at the base of the cooling fins. Don't pick up a tool without it there or you risk a very expensive and avoidable "Aw s#%t!!!"

Be prepared to spend a little time aligning things. I found that fitting all the bolts loosely before tightening any of them helped. Avoid tightening anything fully until the winch is on, the bumper is on etc.

Pay particular attention to any binding of the PTO drive gear. You should be able to feel a bit of lash when the PTO is engaged, the transmission is in neutral and you rotate the PTO output shaft in both directions. If you search for "winch swap" in the Deuce forum you'll find a better explanation. (it may be in the thread above)

Good luck.

Lance