• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch installation

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good afternoon Folks, my question concerns my 71 Jeep/Kieser M-35A2 I have been working hard on restoring the old bird and have found and purchased a Garwood 10K pound winch along with all the accessories that go with it, My question is I have been looking for the TM that covers the installation of this winch on this truck and the TM that covers operating and maintaining the winch, If anybody out there know the TM numbers it would help me out Greatly.
Thank you all
Karl

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try searching for winch installation and you'll find everything and more..................

ida34

There is no TM that covers this because it was not an add on kit. Trucks from the factory either came with a winch or did not come with a winch. The -20 or -30 should cover the individual components removal and installation and as already state, do a search. I posted picks of my install from last summer. Basically, remove the bumper, put on the frame extensions. remove the lower grill, but on the winch, replace the bumper but upside down from the way it was. Before you put the winch on put the PTO drive shaft thorough the cavity that it will reside in as it is hard to get back in with the winch in placed. Install the PTO checking for proper backlash. Install the linkage to the PTO and the lockout plate in the cab. Connect up the drive shaft to the winch and the PTO. Done.

LanceRobson

Cut a piece of 1/4 plywood about 22" square. Place it in front of the radiator before starting. It will slid up behind the two diagonal braves at the top corers of the radiator and drop down on the little ledge at the bottom of the radiator.

It's cheap insurance to prevent an expensive "Aw s**t!!" if you slip with a wrench or hit the radiator with the winch.

Lance

wsucougarx

Plus slide the winch driveshaft in before mounting the winch...you'll be happier if did. Don't tighten all the bolts until you have all of them positioned.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good Morning Lance and your info is much appreciated, Great idea and I am pretty sure that I would not have done this TILL OF COURSE you know what happens! I will put the protector piece in and thanks, Good suggestion!
Karl

LanceRobson

It's a good idea to put it behind your seat when your done with the swap.

When you want to warm up the engine and especially when it is running for a long time at idle, it will come in handy. The cooling system is so over-sized for light loads and temperate climates (let alone temps as cold as yours or mine) you will want it for getting the engine up to temp or the thermostat won't ever fully open and the exhaust will slobber. If memory serves the -10 TM says to run the idle up 1100 RPM(?) for extended idle to prevent slobber but even at that speed the t-stat likely won't open much and the engine will not get warm enough to really dry the condensation out.

Two days ago while working on a truck I had another M35A2 running at 1000 RPM for about 40 minutes and even with the radiator covered it never got above 170-180. It was about 18 degrees out.

Did you get all the bolts for the winch and are they in good shape?

Lance

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lance I have the winter front on my 35 and for warm up I let it idle with that closed to build heat then just before I get on the highway I open it up 1/2 way and the truck seem to run in the 190 degree area like that. I purchased this winch from Duceman51 in SD and will be going to pick it up in about a week, so Sorry no good report on the bolt condition or any other condition of parts etc. BUT I will say that everything else I have bought from him has been as good or usually better than I expected. When I get this all done Lance I will post some pics. I also have a small leak in the rear fuel injector its the back one, but it leaks so little I have not addressed it yet. This weekend I start my installation of the 5 ton air cleaner canister on the truck, the plumbing is the only part I am a little concerned with, meaning that I have to build it Lance! Oh well I will have pics posted of that to!
Take care and talk more soon Lance
Karl

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks