• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch issue

Green Dog

Tore winch down due to jumping out of engagement at winch. Yoke does not slide on shaft without tapping pretty hard with hammer. No corrosion present. Seems to be an issue with the 2 keys inserted on shaft. Machinist looked at it and said you should be able to freely slide yoke into locked position by normal pressure by hand. I guess I need new keys. Any thoughts? And where to find new keys? Also, what amount of gear lube is to be installed in the engagement housing?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Tech Manual for the winch is, TM 9-3830-206-34P

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What's wrong with the keys? If they aren't rusted I can't really understand how they could get damaged. Have they been deformed? If they are deformed I'd guess the winch has been overloaded in the past. Make sure you're running the correct shear pin when you get it all back together.

I don't recall what the correct amount of gear oil is. I'm running John Deere corn head grease in mine.