• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch, or bed swap

thtrev2001

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So we have 2 deuces, one deuce with a winch but bad fenders and bed (rust, dents, terrible patch jobs, etc) the other deuce wo/w, has great metal, no rust, very minor work to be done, both run equally well and are very similar in every other way. What are the pros and cons of moving the winch to the truck with good metal, or moving the metal to the winch truck. Keep in mind most of the heavy lifting will be done by 12-18 y/o scouts, with a Scoutmaster with decent but limited mechanical experience. Has anybody ever done either one of these moves, what do I need to watch out for???

Pooch1128

Have swaped beds before not fun, and would not do it again, we have dueces w/w and w/ow, Hardly ever use winch. I would probably fix up truck wo/w and then decide if you would want to move winch if needed.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
I have done both, move the winch. IMO there are two big things to watch out for...
* protecting the radiators of both trucks when pulling/ installing the winch (a thin sheet of plywood in front of the radiator is your friend)

* getting the gear lash set right on the PTO (gaskets of varying thickness can be used as shims to adjust.)

Last edited:

treeguy

If you do move the winch, check my thread "Complete winch mounting bolts". It is a complete bolt listing to replace the nasty bolts you will remove or break off. I agree with BFR's notes, its a lot of wrenching and the winch is heavy. To install the PTO you also have to drain the transmission fluid or get a bath when removing the cover plate. So make sure you have replacement gear oil. Good Luck!

thtrev2001

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks guys, it looks like we will move the winch, and pooch1128, its not so much that we will use the winch, its that the boys think it looks really cool.

tm america

If you have a tractor or access to a fork lift i would do the bed swap.. less bolts and work..Plus you would be keeping it true to the data plate..i have done both and think the bed is easier to swap..those fine thread bumper bolts like to freeze up and mess up the threads.. And that starts costing some loot ..And getting everthing lined up it the bumper is tweaked is a real pita.The bed is like ten bolts and one electrical connector .Winch is like forty bolts ?