• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch question

jeli

I've found a deuce I'm going to go look at. It has a winch but supposedly the shear pin was replaced with a bolt and whatever let go in that area punched a hole in the bottom of the case. Does this sound salvagable at all?

What does w/o winch vs w/w (broken) vs w/w working effect the value of a truck?

Thanx.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
You need to get clarification of exactly what broke. Sometime, the big worm pushes its way out of the bottom of the aluminum winch housing.

Sometimes, the PTO pulls out of the transmission.

Sometimes, the winch housing breaks after cracking the transmission case near the PTO. So look at all these areas.

And the folks putting the bolt in place of the shear pin probably figured they were smarter than Reo's engineers, sheeesh...

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Of course buying and replacing a winch is less expensive and less complicated than it would be to take a wo/w truck and make it a winch truck so I would still consider it a good asset. Shop around for a replacement and knock that off the price. Course if that was abused, then you may check the rest of the PTO kit for damage.

JDToumanian

What would be wrong with them, Jason? (Besides maybe ugly paint and a bent up top plate.) What are the weak points? For $295 you could take it apart, clean it up, replace the bearings and still come out ahead...

The V18A/MTQ I'll be picking up soon is missing the front winch, brackets and everything else seems to be there.

Jon

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
The shift mechanism is a weak point, as are the seals, which can sometimes cause the brake lining to be soaked - then of course the matter of the wire rope. FWIW, the correct, from a purest's standpoint, winch for the V18A/MTQ will have a Gar Wood nameplate on the top plate.

Regards,
David

jasonjc

I my case the 90wt gear lube ran out as fast as I put it in. and the shaft for the shift handle/clutch (not shure the proper name for it) was broken off inside.
Has the cable but the end was cut off with a troch.
so to make it work:
shaft $70.00
cable end $60-80
seals $40-50
chain $????
My point is make shure what you get. It's kind of like the drive thought. They **** at the drive thought. Some one that was there after I got mine said that they have baskets full of them. They just grab what ever and send out.
I'm looking at anothe $200.00-$300.00 befor I can use it. If I had it to do over I would get some one near by to pick one out and ship it for me. That's all I mean. 2cents

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks