• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch removal

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All,

Is it possible to remove JUST THE WINCH from a M35A2 by disconnecting the winch drive shaft, and the 6 bolts on ether side and thats all? My buddy doesnt care about the frame extensions, etc.. Just to swap a bad winch unit with a good one. A forklift is availible to lift it out.... The TM says to remove the bumper and tons of other parts.. Is it really necessary, or can we just yank it out?

Thanks!

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yanked mine out with just removing the six bolts a side, disconnecting the drive shaft, and removing the brush guard. Also put a piece of 3/8 plywood between the radiator and winch to prevent damage. Used a loader to pull it. Putting back in can be fun, the plates that the winch bolts to may not be straight, and require some pry bar work to get the winch back in. Using a punch to line up the holes helps also.

Dennis

Attachments

Last edited:

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
yep, pull the grill prtoect the radiator and you should be good to go... be nice to those twelve bolts, they are not something you will find at the hardware store.

mangus580

I think I managed to do mine without even pulling the brush guard. Chainfalls make it really nice!! I had to remove mine to repair it when the back & top plates sheared.... (dont ask)

amanco

I pulled my LU4 with an engine hoist (cherry picker) seemed to go smoothly installing as well. I pulled the shear pinion on the input shaft and pulled the drive shaft off. Then removed the mounting bolts.

acetomatoco

ya all wear your safety shoes cuz those buggers don't bounce when they slip their chains...nice pix and good ideas...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks