• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch Removal

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
There are some good how to videos on youtube to change all the bushings top and bottom it took a 6 ft cheater pipe to break the passenger side nut on the bottom a 3/4 extenstion goes thru the hole in the bumper straight up to the nut 1 3/16th i think it was i just replaced the bottoms on mine the tops looked good my 1 inch ingesol rand tire gun wouldnt break the pass side the driverside just unbolt the infared light in the bumper to access the nut on that side
I was in agreement until I finally started trying to replace the "biscuits" on my M1089 wrecker. Your directions and the videos are right for more than 90% of the LMTV / MTV trucks. I have not found a video for a truck with a winch and replacing those "biscuits". There is no way to get a socket and impact wrench in the pocket where the nut and the end of the bolt live.

In some other thread here, I wrote up some of what I did. Ultimately, we used a dremel with a cut-off blade split the nut. Then used a large chisel and beat and banged on it to split the nut and slid it off the bolt. After that, it was ready to receive a new bolt, nut, and biscuit. Wrenches are the only way I could find to tighten those bolts.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was in agreement until I finally started trying to replace the "biscuits" on my M1089 wrecker. Your directions and the videos are right for more than 90% of the LMTV / MTV trucks. I have not found a video for a truck with a winch and replacing those "biscuits". There is no way to get a socket and impact wrench in the pocket where the nut and the end of the bolt live.

In some other thread here, I wrote up some of what I did. Ultimately, we used a dremel with a cut-off blade split the nut. Then used a large chisel and beat and banged on it to split the nut and slid it off the bolt. After that, it was ready to receive a new bolt, nut, and biscuit. Wrenches are the only way I could find to tighten those bolts.
DEEAAMN THAT SUCKS ! So youve already done it before gotcha

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
DEEAAMN THAT SUCKS ! So youve already done it before gotcha
You would be amazed at the improvement in ride quality with those new pieces of rubber in place.
I kept hoping, but wrenches wuz it!

I imagine at the factory, the problem solved before the cab was attached to the tilt mechanism.
Just guessing though...

TheDrashStash

I'm planning on removing my winch from my 1088 truck. I need the space and probably will never need the winch. I can probably figure it out with some luck and the TMs, but does anyone here have any suggestions on the best way to do it? I'm also not familiar with PTOs, so I have a lot to learn there.

Any tips are much appreciated. And also, anyone want a winch ;)
How much do you want for it? I've thought about adding a winch to my M1084 so I can have a winch AND a crane. I'd already have the hydraulic system too

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks