• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch shifter shaft removal

shootiniron

I've got a winch that I think the shifter shaft might be installed incorrectly.Whats happening is that the shifter shaft engageing handle does'nt rotate all the way to the ball detent for the "in" position.It stops at the "out" detent so you dont even have to lift the safety lever thing up to engage.When rotated to the "out" position the ball detent just rides up on the case with no hole to fall in and the lever stops at the bolt head that holds that plate on.

My question"s" is ,is it a PITA to remove the shifter shaft to possibly correct the problem or will doing that even help,I've looked at the break down in the TM and cant really see how it works.I have determined that the winch is engageing and dissengageing like it should,its just the lever is'nt where it should be.The winch is'nt on the truck,its all together in the bumper on the ground.Its an extra winch assy. that I'm gonna sell.Thanks!

USMC6062

You have to take the winch apart to get it out. After I went through my winch and resealed it. I got it together to find out that the shifter shaft has been twisted a little. It didn't line up on the detents either. I just made a new plate that sits between the shift handle and the winch housing with new detent holes that match the postions on my winch clutch lever. This might be common, because many people don't understand how to operate the winch and try to work it from the front bumper, and they end up pushing or pulling too hard on the handle. I saw a picture of one that a guy extended the handle 6 or 8 inches for more leverage.

shootiniron

Sounds like the easiest fix.I've got three of these and this one's the oddball.Wish I'd been paying more attention when I was stripping those trucks and pulled a different one other than this one.Oh well,a lesson learned.As far as the operation of these things it is definately a must to become famliar with the appropriate TM and operation before you go pulling levers and double clutching to see how it works!They can be a real maneater if misused.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks