• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

winch snatch block storage question

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just got myself a cool NOS 10t snatch block. My spinal discs tell me that the block is probably underrated.

Is there a good solution to store the snatch block on the truck? With the weight of that thing it needs to be securely latched down somewhere.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
tool box or inside the bed. i like the smaller one for a duece . so much easier to handle.. but that big one is needed for the 5ton front winch

Capt.Marion

Small water-tight box (not pickup-truck sized, at least) mounted at the fore of the bed. Fits the snatch block as well as the original front bearing caps (should the locking hubs hit the fritz, etc) quite nicely.

KsM715

When I get a winch for the front of my 5ton I plan to build lockable storage boxes right behind the bumper on both sides. Thats where the recovery equip. will be stored.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the block and the various cables and chains stored in ammo boxes in the bed. Works out good, the troop seats can be used and I just push the boxes under the seats.

Bighurt

I have the block and the various cables and chains stored in ammo boxes in the bed. Works out good, the troop seats can be used and I just push the boxes under the seats.
If you can find the boxes with the rubber gasket on the lid that creates a seal, I would recommend the box. Its my stuff in ammo boxes rusts faster without the seal. More so than on the back of cab guard.

Of course dangling over the side of the saddle tanks isn't good either. MP had to swap out ever tank on our fleet of Kenworth do to tire chains deteriorating the 150 gal saddle tanks.

Honestly I don't know how I would keep chains on my M35

greenjeepster

It is on my list to add a headache rack to mine to accomplish two things. First roll over protection and second a place to hang chains and load binders.

greenjeepster

So when the truck sinks in it gets wedged under the truck where you can't get to it... That is if it doesn't crack your oil pan first2cents

So the main thing I don't understand is if you are supposed to carry extra cable to use as rigging or is the snatch block just used on the winch cable?

If you have one snatch block on the cable of a 10- 20 K winch cable your anchor needs to be within 20 ft of the truck or you looses about 2 K pulling power off of the winch.... the farther out the cable the less pulling power it has.

Also if you run the cable out and attach the block to your anchor and then run it back to the truck you have a fixed block and have gained nothing on the pulling power of the winch. The ratio with fixed block is 1:1

Last edited:

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the suggestions.

Does anybody have experience with the bumper trays that are available from...OD Iron?
OD Iron LLC Military Vehicle Parts and Accessories
They look to be tough enough to permanently carry a 75lbs load.

I think I will strap it to the inside of the bed for now until I come up with something neat. I am thinking of a "u" shaped piece of rebar welded to the front of the bed where the block hook can snap into and then a piece of threaded stock welded to the bed to let the eye of the block slide over; and I can fasten the eye of the block with some wingnut doohickey.

Cranetruck, the winch load chart is helpful; it shows that one does indeed need a 20.000 lbs snatch block if one intends to hook the block to the load and double the winch cable back to the truck to get 2x the winching power. Also, a 20.000 lbs recovery strap is needed to attach the block to the load...

If one uses the snatch block only to re-direct the winch line around an obstacle, the 5t block is sufficient.

Last edited:

croftonaviation

Those look pretty neat, I wonder if some of our more talented members could make a set for less than $140.00? The spec says they can carry 400 lbs, although I don't think I would want that much more extra weight past the front axle. Great thread everyone, more storage is on my list of deuce projects for the summer, some great ideas here.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The ODI bumper trays are pretty darned sturdy. I can stand on them and feel no deflection at all.

glcaines

Also if you run the cable out and attach the block to your anchor and then run it back to the truck you have a fixed block and have gained nothing on the pulling power of the winch. The ratio with fixed block is 1:1

This isn't true. When you run your winch cable out to the snatch block which is attached to an immovable object (tree) and back to the truck with the winch, you essentially double your pulling power. It is actually around an 85% increase in most cases due to additional friction. The reason you double your pulling power is that you now have double the length of wire rope that you are winding in, so it now takes twice the time to move the vehicle the same distance compared to simply attaching the winch cable to the tree.

You have to be very careful with snatch blocks. I had a friend with a 1969 Dodge D500 that pulled his front end off using a snatch block. It pulled both frame rails apart and the front bumper with winch went flying through the air. It was actually quite spectacular to watch.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is why - if you can - you position your truck in such a way that you can attach the returning winch line to a fixed anchor point right beside your truck (tree, another truck), as opposed to attaching it to your own bumper shackle. That way, your frame only takes 5t load instead of 10t, when you use the snatch block to double the pulling power of your winch.

Bighurt

That is why - if you can - you position your truck in such a way that you can attach the returning winch line to a fixed anchor point right beside your truck (tree, another truck), as opposed to attaching it to your own bumper shackle. That way, your frame only takes 5t load instead of 10t, when you use the snatch block to double the pulling power of your winch.
But then you wouldn't be doubling the pull...