• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch Spec's and rear pull...

tamangel

just playing with figures right now (read: no deuce yet) but anyone know specifications (pull rating, manufacturer, etc..) on the stock military equiped deuce winch? Are there different units on different truck models and are they interchangeable? Also curious if everyone feels the stock winch is adequate given deuce loaded close to max GVW.. If more is needed, anyone installed larger winch and any good/bad experiences?

One final question, what are the options to modify a front winch to pull from the back or I suppose one could install a 2nd winch at the rear or ...?

I suppose one of the answers could be,..'don't get that heavily stuck..never know..'

Thanks,
Mike

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
RE: Winch Spec

The military under rates the winches. I know of two people who have put 20Klbs winches on a deuce, and two people who put rear winches on. I have long ago learned that it is impossible to prepare for everything. That is why I am so good at improvising. :shock:

mangus580

RE: Winch Spec

One final question, what are the options to modify a front winch to pull from the back or I suppose one could install a 2nd winch at the rear or ...?
No Mod's needed... just see here :D

BTW, all the specs you will ever need, are in the TM's! Go read them before you buy a deuce!

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The stock winch for the M35A2 series is a Garwood 10,000# model. Uncle has been using it for 40+ years, and saw no need to change. With snatch blocks, you can move just about anything.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are very adequate. As Emmado22 pointed out, with snatch blocks you can move structures. As far as durability, the winch on my deuce tractor was removed from a 1952 Reo. That makes it 55 years old. It works great! There are several variations of the deuce that have a rear winch but be prepared to pay for them, they are on the rare side.

tamangel

winchin' at the thought..

thanks gents, good info..Great video also. Must have 'groved' that bumper a little.. No bumper rollers or undercarriage guides..? Anyone know the specific TM or ? that details winch operations in varying conditions..

Mike

mangus580

RE: winchin

tamangel said:
thanks gents, good info..Great video also. Must have 'groved' that bumper a little.. No bumper rollers or undercarriage guides..
The grooves were a big attraction at Aberdeen this year :)

No, I just threw it under...

jeli

RE: winchin

One of the Hemmets has a front winch with pulleys mounted to route the cable to the rear. I think it's the recovery version.

M1075

Re: RE: winchin

jeli said:
One of the Hemmets has a front winch with pulleys mounted to route the cable to the rear. I think it's the recovery version.
Actually the winch on the HEMTTs is side mounted with rollers/guides to the front and the back.

rmgill

A lot of british trucks have/had winches that were mounted in the center under the bed. There are fairleads to run to the front or rear of the vehicle and pulleys to allow for side pulls from either position.

What's really neat are on the FATS (field artillery tractors) and other winch equipped trucks. They have hooks arranged so they're on the outside of the frame rails but positioned so they hook a load going back under the truck. The idea is a set of chocks that are flat on top that also have a loop on them. You hook the chocks to the hooks on the frame and drive onto them so they are held in the ground by the weight of the truck but still prevent the vehicle from moving any further forwards or backwards depending on the direction.

See this thread on MLU.

Barrman

Here is another plug for the stock Garwood. I sank my M35 down to the runing boards yesterday. One pull of about 100 feet to one tree and another pull of almost 200 feet to another tree got me turned around and back to solid ground.

During the first pull, I had the winch in low and the transmission in low 1st. Tires spinning and the truck moving by the winch only. I did the second pull with the winch in hi and the transmission in nuetral. Only difference was the second pull was twice as fast. I had my feet flat on the floor with the engine at idle for both. These winches work great.