• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

wind

jsthnt@gmail.com

I am not sure if this is the right place to ask this question or if the regular deuce forum would be a better place. I have had General Granite for a few months now. As you all know it is a non-turbo. I have noticed that the wind here in Nebraska has a huge affect on the proformance of General Granite. I know that in a truck like this it is all about air speed. But would a turbo help with being able to get a concistant speed?
Today is an extreem exsample (we are having 50 to 60 mph winds today), but on the way south I was only able to do 40 to 45 mph. On the trip back north I did not let it go past 69 mph, I had a lot of pedel left to go. I took a pic of the gps at 67 but it is on my phone and I would have pushed it to 75 but I was comming up on a spot where the leo's like to sit.
How much difference would a turbo make going into the wind?

Cleptomaniac

I dont think so. I ran 62 going north here in Oklahoma with lots of pettal left. And south was all out at 50-55 depending on hills. I have a D turbo on mine.

tco3129

I understand the turbo only adds about 5hp. It was used primarily to clean up the exhaust.
Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I have 1 W/turbo, 1 W/O turbo. Can't tell any difference except the cloud I leave behind.2cents

jsthnt@gmail.com

The wind just left know. They said we had up to 90mph wind. I bet I could of had it flying if I was still out.
I thought that w/o turbo hp was 134 and with a D it was 190 and a C was just a little less but I am new to all of this.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
My M275 is NA and pulls like a big dog except on hills where it falls flat on it's face.

Turbo will not affect performance as much as you think.

Bypassing the FDC, turning up the fuel (install a pyro) and putting 1100x20's will help a great deal.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Replacing the engine with an LDS will give him more horsepower (and use more fuel), trying to upgrade an LD to an LDT won't make it that much better. The pyro gauge and upping the fuel rate will help some, but not 90 hp.

You should check the rating on your 14.00-20s before you push it to 75mph.
These are not high speed trucks, if you have a need for speed, you need something other than an MV. This hobby is on fragile ground, in the eye of the public, we don't need any bad statistics to further their view.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The effect a turbo will have depends on how your truck is tuned right now. I would say it should perform MUCH better with a turbo and some tuning. Make sure you know what your getting into. The turbo will need a different exhaust and to tune it you will need at least a pyrometer.

91W350

Their truck is making good power now. I followed it for a few miles and it runs good. The wind will have a huge effect on anything with the aerodynamics of an ammo can.

jsthnt@gmail.com

I was not saying that I wanted to run 75. I would just like to get a little better preformance going up hill and into the wind.
Today I ran it to a town about 30 miles. Had a little tall wind and ran 59 most of the way except the few small hills along the way. On the way back I could barly do 50.
I would just like to even that out.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
:funny:

If you think about it, none of these trucks with the exception of the 900 series road tractors have the horsepower of your average turbo diesel pick up truck. They weigh more and have a large frontal area (aerodynamic drag) and are geared for the job they were intended to do.

In short, they are not going to go fast into a head wind or up hill. The extra horsepower is not there. If you do come up with more horsepower; you will go faster into the wind and up the hill better, but the gear ratio is still going to limit your top speed.

These trucks are what they are. I try to enjoy them with that in mind.

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
trying to upgrade an LD to an LDT won't make it that much better. The pyro gauge and upping the fuel rate will help some, but not 90 hp.
I added the 'D' to my black smoker, stock, LD and it made some silly HP. I turning down the IP 2-1/2 turns and it is still a very strong, reliable, runner. I'd guess 40-50%. Very noticeable change and quite a contrast from the stone it once was. I'm sure 90 HP is possible. Use W/A injection, travel light, watch the pyro...

Operating environment matters. You might be OK turned up towing on flat terrain but in trouble in the mountains. You might be able to get 500HP if you multi-stage some turbos and dumped buckets of water in the manifold, like tractor pullers. Super Stock open class can make 10x that, though they drive 300ft (or less) at a time and reliability isn't such a concern.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks