• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

window changeout

aboonski

Finally got around to replacing the driver's side window in my deuce today. The hardest part was dealing with the weatherstipping along the top outer edge of the door. I wanted to just replace the whole door with one I had bought years ago but UPS did a job on it and I need to hammer out the damage they did during the delivery routine. UPS people do not like delivering heavy objects, so....if you plan on having a replacement door shipped to you please look at the pictures of mine. It started out as a new door too. I also bought new door glass from the same ebay seller and he decided to ship it inside of the new door without placing anything to absorb the shock of the door being dropped during shipment from Texas to Florida. The pictures will tell the story about that. The seller was very nice and sent me a replacement door glass that was properly packed and it arrived intact. Eventuallt I will fix the damages to the door and will install it on my truck but for now it is nice to be able to see out of the driver's side window without looking through cracked glass! Anyone know of a source for that one piece of weatherstripping at the top part of the door (sort of keeps the rain from seeping into the inside of the door itself)? Also, what's the trick to inserting the window back into the door? I had a hell of a time using screwdrivers to work the weatherstripping past the door glass before it finally went into the tracks and I may have damaged the stripping in the process.

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The guy UPS'd the door without packing it in anything at all? That is just irresponsible. It needed to be contained in several layers of cardboard.

As far as the window, I've just gave it a good whack with both fists in the upper corners to pop it past the weatherstrip.

Other techniques anyone????

aboonski

All I saw on the door when it arrived was soe kind of clear and very wide tape that might have been placed there by UPS to keep the window from coming out. That door had to have been dropped several times during the shipment. I came home from work and found the door sitting by the entrance to my house - the UPS guy was long gone before I got there. I think the door is repairable.

I used a rubber mallet to get the window past the weatherstrip. I was thinking, next time I do this I will use one of those wide drywall mud tools to shoehorn the glass into the door.

aboonski

I saw a thread where a member wanted to replace his window glass and needed to know the type of glass to use. I took measurements of the cracked glass that I removed from two frames plus I took macro photos of the etched information on each piece in case it might help someone; I cannot find the thread today for some reason. The measurements of just the glass is 21" high and 29 5/16" long. It is laminated glass with the plastic sandwiched between two pieces of glass that are very thin (probably why they crack so easily!). One piece had the following info etched in the bottom corner: LGC 5101 Laminated Glass; AS-1 M-21 DOT33. The other had LSI Glass; Safe-Ray Lam. ASI; M-31 DOT65 1290L. The one frame and rubber that holds the glass was like new so I kept the frame and weatherstripping and put the glass out for the trashman. The photos will show the etched glass information and the good frame in front of the trashed glass.

Attachments

aboonski

The window clips are the little round things that lock the lifting pegs to the window frame runners, right? The ones on mine were like new and I used a mechanics mirror to be sure they were on correctly. Thanks for the reply by the way - I was beginning to think that nobody was interested in this particular subject! I try to post quality photos of things that I do because I know there may be just one person who will benefit from my experiences with repairs to my small fleet. I was a medic in the Air Force for 21 years but truly love mechanical things of every kind - especially the way military vehicles are put together. I drove a deuce once or twice during my entire career and knew I wanted one after hearing the 'C' turbo whine and the pure power of the M35 in low range with all 10 wheels pulling! My truck is a 1968 M35A2C with winch - the year is significant because I entered the Air Force in March of 1968.

BugEyeBear

Not sure who should be SHOT here...

...the UPS handlers for banging up the door so badly,

OR the seller for failing to pack the door & glass properly??

I tend to think more blame lies with the seller, BUT the UPS receiving station shouldn't have accepted an inadequately packaged item.

One of these two should be paying you for a new door!

-Bear-

Last edited:

aboonski

I should have done something about this when I first got the door - at first all I noticed was the cracked glass inside the door because there was no oval access panel on this thing. The seller was nice enough to send me a replacement window as mentioned previously but the door basically remains unuseable to this day. If I would have shipped something like this it would have been packed in thick cardboard with thick styrofoam on each corner. That's the only time I have had problems with anything shipped by UPS. The only other time I was unhappy with a UPS delivery was when I received two rear brake drums for my M1008A1 - once again, very heavy package and obviously dropped several times before making it to the house. A lot of Ebay sellers do not take the time to properly pack heavy items so it is really hard to put all the blame on UPS.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks