• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Windshield frame channel rust, drainage, sealing

Rattlehead

Someone told me of drilling a hole(s) in the bottom of the inner windshield channels for drainage, to help prevent the rusting that happens to all of them. Anyone tried this, or other opinions to stop this from occurring?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I am rebuilding a deuce window that I'm installing in my 725. I was going to put some silisone in every screw hole to prevent the rust, but thats not a bad Idea. I'll wait to see what everyone else thinks.

devilman96

Do not use silicone on metal... It will draw mosture under it and cause rust, not stop it!!!

The best thing to do is use a razor knife to cut back the seal which over hangs and is "exposed" between the glass and metal frame... Tape the frame and glass off leaving the edge you just cut away exposed. Fill this edge over with a AUTOMOTIVE windshield / window sealant (not from a hardware store) and smooth it over with your finger... Peel the tape off as it tacks up BEFORE it dries... This will seal off the frame and make it last years longer with out making a mess of the stock look....