• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Windshield replacement problems

2deuce

Hello,
I have 2 new windshields and 2 old hinges. The old windshields hung fine, but the new ones hang too low, they won't close. Tried everything I can think of. Do I need new hinges? The old hinges slide on fine, The old windshields had a more rounded design that makes up the hinge. Anybody else run into this? I don't want to buy a new hinge it I can make these work. This is on a m35a2

Thanks

fpchief

I have the exact same problem with two different deuces. It is frustrating. They will close fine without the gasket. Bottom gasket keeps them from closing. I thought about heating gasket with heat gun to make it more pliable so I can close window. The lock handle just barely MAY be able to pass by the lock on the frame.

2deuce

I don't have any pictures right now, I would have to install them again. My son and I have put them on and off a dozen times trying something a little different each time. If the hinge is on the new windshield, and the hinge is closed, it will fit in the frame, but in that closed position I can't get the screws in. We tried mounting the hinge to the frame first but that won't work either. I talked to the seller, but they had no idea. My windshield won't clear the latch that keeps it closed. We tried removing the latch but then the bottom of the window hits the frame. It's metal to metal, the rubber seal is still far outside. It looks like it would need to be raised about a half inch. I remember installing a new windshield a long time ago and I don't recall any issues.

2deuce

That is why it is such a head scratcher. They are the same size. There is a different profile on the hinge piece that is on the windshield. I attached these 2 pictures of the hinge on the old and the new, but is hard to see the differences. I guess the next step is to remove the pieces off the old windshield if I don't get a better idea. I thought about opening up the hinge so it will pivot better upon closing but I could also ruin it where it might fall apart while on the road in the open position. I'm wondering if the new hinges are made to fit these windows better.

Attachments

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

fpchief

That is why it is such a head scratcher. They are the same size. There is a different profile on the hinge piece that is on the windshield. I attached these 2 pictures of the hinge on the old and the new, but is hard to see the differences. I guess the next step is to remove the pieces off the old windshield if I don't get a better idea. I thought about opening up the hinge so it will pivot better upon closing but I could also ruin it where it might fall apart while on the road in the open position. I'm wondering if the new hinges are made to fit these windows better.
I do believe on set of the new windshield I got in had hinges already...maybe not. They did come with them at one time. I guess they found a way to make us buy them separate. Same diff though. They dont fit either. I know I did try two different sets of used hinges and I tried a complete different windshield frame too.

2deuce

I remember buying a new windshield years ago. I don't remember any fitment problems. I think the new windshield came with the hinge, everything was new. I was not expecting any problems this go around, which also leads me to believe, I had none before. I'm going to dismantle and re-use the top portion of the old window to see if that will fit. When I get to it, hopefully tomorrow, I will be back here.

2deuce

I took the old frame apart, but decided not to swap that to the new window. I didn't really figure out a great solution. What I did do was grind on the new window so the edge inside the hinge was not as sharp and the window then would close easily and not bind in the hinge. That raised it up a little bit so it would clear the frame, but not the latch. I used some washers to move the handle closer to the latch and ground down the latch so the handle would clear. Now it closes and it will probably close easier after the rubber conforms better. If it does get too loose with time I can always remove washers or move the latch as it does have slotted holes that allow for a minor adjustment.

Ecklund1

I just bought a set of new windows and have the very same problem. How the heck can all of these be built incorrectly? Since no one has found a solution, I think I'm going to try putting the (old) Top Hinge in a Brake Press and lift the outer hinge portion up a little to lift up the window in the frame to the Latch clears. The seal should fit better as well.

Zoyd AT1

This sounds like a real pain and a hard decision to grind down and possibly wreck a brand new part.
Who did you guys buy your bad fitting Windshields from??
Were they Used, N.O.S., Rebuilds or Reproduction??

Ecklund1

This sounds like a real pain and a hard decision to grind down and possibly wreck a brand new part.
Who did you guys buy your bad fitting Windshields from??
Were they Used, N.O.S., Rebuilds or Reproduction??
I bought the pair from CandC Equipment. They're a good bunch. They are NEW, not NOS. I've read they are made in Korea. I was actually able to get them to fit with the assistance of my son. He sat on the hood and held the window up while I screwed the hinge into place under tension. We a]ere able to swing it down and latch. Hopefully, the rubber seals will learn a "set" and allow opening/closing in the future. In the meantime, they are in and no leaks!
I have to say, the quality of the new windshields are excellent. They are heavy and the laminated safety glass is black RTV perimeter sealed. The frame is painted, extruded aluminum and the top hinge half appears to be sturdy and durable.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks