• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Windshield wiper and sprayer fix

Milbikes

When I got my M1008, the wipers were super-slow, and the sprayer wouldn't spray. The windshield fluid in the tank was blue, but the truck had been sitting so long, the alcohol had evaporated. It was frozen solid.

Took the tank inside, emptied it.

Heated the hoses and nozzles on the truck with my heat gun, and blew them out with compressed air.

Removed plastic cover from wiper motor, cleaned the REALLY dirty wire connectors, applied dielectric grease. Wipers were a bit faster, but still slow.

I then sprayed some electrical contact cleaner into the wiper gear mechanism, blew some air in it, and then some lube. Wipers are much faster. Not super-fast, but very good, especially with a wet windshield.

Sprayer would still not spray.

Took apart the sprayer pump, and the "triple o-ring" gasket was pretty dried out and flat. I used some gasket paper to make a gasket with three holes that matched up with the triple o-ring and sat above it. Put it all together, and now it sprays fine.

The only issue left is that sometimes when I press the sprayer switch, it doesn't start the sprayer. Sometimes I have to try several times, and sometimes it works the first time. I think the switch on the steering column is going out. H.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a rebuild kit for the washer pump(about $10).

combatmech

Mine does spray, but only on the drivers side. Thats good I guess....I'll fix that soon as well.
Where can you find the washer pump re-build kits from?

OL AG '89

washer rebuild available from LMC and others
I took the cowl cover of mine, when it was warmer outside and lubed up the rod ends..
Seemed to help when warm, no so not that its below freezing here...
maybe reconsider using chassis grease next time!!aua

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks