• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Windshield wiper and washer repair

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My M1008 seemed to have an issue with the washer and wipers, the washers would not squirt and the fast wiper speed would not work. Sometimes they would and other times they would not. The low speed seemed to work just fine.

Thinking that the wiper motor assembly was bad, I changed it out and things seemed to work. Today, only the low speed worked, no fast and no washer. So now I questioned the switch in the steering column. Not wanting to delve in to that repair, I wanted to prove that it was indeed the problem.Using a clip lead and connecting the PINK wire to ground, the washers worked. Connecting the clip lead to the PURPLE wire on the wiper motor to ground, the fast wiper mode worked.
20240723_185035.jpg

Looking at the schematic for the wiper motor, the washer is controlled with a relay that has +12 VDC on it when the key is in ACC or RUN. The PINK wire is the switched ground command to turn on the washers, the LIGHT GREY wire is the +12 VDC. Using an ohmmeter, I found that there was no ground coming from the switch on the column to the washer relay. The fast speed also was not getting the ground command to run the wipers in the fast mode.
20240723_184732.jpg20240723_184726.jpg

There is a connector on the steering column for just the wiper motor control. 5 wires control the wiper and washer commands. I removed the panel under the column and there was the connector in a very easy location to see if the switch is defective.
20240723_183347.jpg

Upon disconnecting the connector, it appeared that the connections to the washer and fast wiper speed were not right.
The washer connector was spread open some and was not making a good connection with the connector to the switch. A small wire brush cleaned up the column side of the connector and a small connector file cleaned up the vehicle wiring harness side of the connector. I also used a very small screw driver to tighten the connector contacts.
20240723_183647.jpg

After cleaning all of the connector contacts and making sure the connector pins were seated properly, both the washer and fast wiper speed worked!
20240723_183455.jpg20240723_183433.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks