• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Windshield wiper motor problem resolution

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been prepping for a parade on Saturday, Sept 9. Last minute prep was to reinstall the windshield wiper motor for the drivers side. I finally got it to function after disassembling it twice. The second time I used a silicon lube that the air piston inside the motor seemed to like.

When I reinstalled the motor and hooked up the air to the motor, nothing happened. That's when I heard the familiar hiss of air escaping from the passenger side hose that has no wiper motor attached.

I plugged the end of the hose with my thumb. The drivers side motor still did NOT function. The hose slipped off the end of my thumb for a second and BINGO, the driver motor moved back and forth once.

So I let the air out, blocked it, let it out, blocked it.

I NOW know how to get the motor working. Apparently you must have BOTH motors functioning as they apparently provide a pulse between the two that allow both of them to work properly.

At least that's what happened to me.

Oh, and I'm sure my neighbors loved hearing the deuce fired up at about 11:30 pm this evening. I only ran it long enough to build up the air pressure for the test, conduct the test and then shut it down. Call it ten minutes. I then gathered up all my stuff, came back inside and turned off all the lights outside. Hopefully JOHN LAW won't be paying me a visit this evening.

jim

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thx. My health has been up and down. I've been to a GI for my IBS and we are trying some new meds. Some good days. LOTS of bad days. Still working on something that will 'work' without making me so woozy I can't get out of bed.

I have been reading a little here, a little there. But mainly just trying to 'hang on' as it were.

Thx.

jim

rmgill

If the motors are working well, I don't think they need to both be functioning. It'd be neat to add a small valve to shut off one side. A good thing to do when you replace the hoses is to squirt some silicone lube into the air line and then run them for a bit. I did this and mine run nicer.

rmgill

If the motors are working well, I don't think they need to both be functioning. It'd be neat to add a small valve to shut off one side. A good thing to do when you replace the hoses is to squirt some silicone lube into the air line and then run them for a bit. I did this and mine run nicer.

Boatcarpenter

My passenger side wiper used to start first and operate at at least twice as fast as the other. I bought a little industrial air valve and put in the line between the two. I get mine where I want it and then set the pass side. Works great all for about $8.00 if I recall correctly.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a pair of wiper motors that run at different speeds (both new Taiwan reproductions). I put the faster one on the passenger side. I bought a 1/4 turn, plastic in line fuel shutoff valve (i think it was a Tecumseh part) for a lawnmower engine and installed it between the wipers. I can either shut off the passenger side or "throttle it to make them both run the same speed. This set up is working well for me.(no problem with operation just one)

Opie

Any thoughts as to where to best get replacement hoses for the wipers? Mine look to be 36 year old originals and worse for the wear. NAPA/Auto Zone/other?
I'll have to see if silicone lube in the air line helps me out. My passenger side wiper doesn't want to reciprocate, but will return to a "home" position if moved with the "Soldier B" manual switch. Neither the plastic nor the take-off Trico metal bodied one from Howard's want to cooperate.

The Saturn Surplus wiper blade/arm upgrades look nice, too.

I found that silicone lube works and putting a hose on the exhaust and running it out under the canvas top makes it a lot quieter and keeps the lube off the windshild

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any auto parts store should have the hose. I just bought today 2 wiper motors (metal) from antelope valley before I head back to TX. They were 80 each and they had the plastic ones for 37 each. I also got the wiper arm upgrade for 10 each. Thought i'd pick them up while here and save shipping! :D Think i'm going back tomorrow for a used drop-side tailgate for 75$ (last they had). :cry:

herc69

Is there anything out there to tell you how to troubleshoot the motors on a deuce? Mine will work when they want to, despite both getting air. :cookoo:

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
See if the little red buttons are pushed in. They won't work if they are. Use a scribe to pry them out if they are pushed in.

rmgill

Add some air tool oil to the hose that leads into them to keep them lubed.They'll blow a bit of oil for a while as the excess comes out but it works to keep the lubed and it should be compatible. YMMV

herc69

M35 windshield wipers

Thanks again, y'all. I knew if I asked, somebody would have already been there with the same problems, and have an answer. :D I'll start easy and work my way up from there!

WillWagner said:
See if the little red buttons are pushed in. They won't work if they are. Use a scribe to pry them out if they are pushed in.
Ya know Will, I meant to call you (that day I stopped by and you fixed my wiper motor in this very same method) to tell you that you left your scribe on the front bumper (drivers side) of your deuce. I completely forgot until now. So if you are missing it, that's where it was. :lol:

I B @ home sick today so I'm catching up on some much needed reading here.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks