• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

windshields are not the same size

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My right windshield had too many cracks, so i needed a replacement.

window.jpg

Went to the scrapyard and took a good second hand from another truck. Window pane with metal frame around it and wiper engine still attached. $ 25. Should fit with no problem since all cabs are equal. Right, not?

Managed to get it in for now, but fitting: no way. Size is a bit smaller (lucky it's not bigger) but now I have gaps all around and it will not really close good. Is that common or am I just unlucky? These windows standard have the metal fitting around or can you get the glass separately?

Darwin T

there are two sizesthat fit different 5 tons. one is the same size as the M35's and one is for the larger 5 tons (i don't know the numbers). it looks like you have the deuce and a half size.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a 1973 M52 A2. So if the cabines of those older 5-tons and deuces are the same, why make a different size in something vulnerable as an front windshield????? auaaua

So if the deuces and the 800s are the same, why does the M39 differs or has to different sizes? Ah well, ours is not to reason why....:deadhorse: aua

Darwin T

Why? to sell more parts if you have to many of the right parts, then how will they sell you more parts $$$$$$.$$. so when you make new equipment change the size then yo have a new market. check out he M105a3 trailers same thing TO MANY m105A2 PARTS. different tires and wheels (not deuce tires but the same lug nut pattern) and a crappy landing gear. the rest of the trailer is awesome.

Last edited:

m816

The deuce,five tons and M37 are all the same. Only diference is the hole for the windshield wiper is in a diferent location for the M37. The 900 series are way wider. I haven't run into any thing being smaller for deuce's unless you consider the M211's. My two cents

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
To be factual. The G-741 (M37 series), G-742 (M35 series), G-744 (5 ton series), and the G-809 (5 ton series) all used the same inner windshield. On all those trucks the units made in the early 50s used two different windshields on each truck. One for the left side and one for the right side. The only difference in the two windshields was the mounting and hole for the wiper. It was set off to one side on each windshield there by causing the need for two different windshields. They started using the inner windshield with the wiper mounted in the center after using the offset windshield units. And after that only one inner windshield type was used on each vehicle.

I have seen some inner windshields that have the rubber seal around the outside that is not of the correct width causing a small gap around the unit. Mostly caused by normal shrinkage due to being to long in the elements. I did however see one windshield that someone tried to repair and did not use a seal that was wide enough.

TRIVA....I have restored M34s,M35s and M37s with the original older offset wipers and replaced them with the newer centered wipers and they fit perfectly.

P.S. The G-749 (M211 series) uses a much narrower and wider inner windshield.

Last edited:

Amer-team

Thank you for the tip and the knowledge on why the windshields are offset. I needed a replacement on the M54 and someone came along with an offset in the frame and it is working fine, except that I need to replace the rubber. I didn't think about the offset until it was already installed and by that time, I was done having fun with it.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for all the info. I am now back in the Netherlands, so I will measure the exact sizes and have a second look on it.

Took some time to respond because while in the Netherlands with friends but not close to where the truck is, my car broke down. The multi-belt broke, in its turn ripping off the distribution belt. In those XUD diesel engines, running the engine without distribution belt, if even for a few turns, means end of story: either bent valves or a broken camshaft. Too expensive to repair on an old car, cheaper buy another old car. Just repaired that car for close to a thousand bucks, new tires, battery, the works.

images.jpeg images.jpeg

Last edited: