• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winterization/arctic kit

Awol

I'm curious about them too. Do they provide a substantial improvement over the standard top/doors?

Action

The top, curtain, and doors are heavily insulated, and the door windows do not open. They are hard plastic. The 2-man rear curtain runs all the way to the floor behind the front seats, and there is lots of velcro to seal out drafts.
I would say, YES, they would help a lot in these cold temps. Maybe I should switch over...It will only be 60 here Thursday!

full.jpg

full.jpg

Last edited:

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The padded insulated covers made for the vehicles that I am directly familiar with, namely the M37, M211, M135, & M35, etc, helped out. I have used the for extended periods down into the -60'sF* .That in conjunction with a good heat source, such as the Arctic grade fuel heater & its overwhelming heat supply. Usually if your vehicle is reasonably tight, you have to adjust the temperature by rolling the window down. But by far, the most important covering article though, is the grill cover. I also remember coming back fro Anchorage to here (350 miles), where the fuel heater failed & temps were pushing -40F*. The grill cover is for the vehicle & it did as it should - ran like a top. The driver made out OK too, just not as comfortable.

Ericfmccord

I’ve ordered and installed one, actually two. Ordered the second because the first fitment was very loose. The second fit just as poorly. I’m hoping time will shrink it up. Anyone else have this issue?

rolling18

Hi,

Have anyone tried the Arctic top and rear curtain for the 4-door hmmwv? Anyone have picture of it?
I have just ordered one of these top covers as a replacement the styme that look like checkerboard sew pattern..
I AM VERY DISAPPOINTED!! this thing leaks more than my old worn out cover!! super pissed after almost 2 hrs to install

its dripping leaks along the sewing lines... upon close inspection on a sunny day you can actually see light through the sewn pinholes! very pissed
it IS quieter and warmer as long as it DOES NOT RAIN!! UHHHH!!!

This thing cost me $350 plus shippin! and was new in box.

Attachments

frauhansen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi,

Have anyone tried the Arctic top and rear curtain for the 4-door hmmwv? Anyone have picture of it?
Installed two weeks ago...

I am satisfied with mine so far. The installation instructions could be better. I still have a bunch of material left and do not know where to put it :D

The fit of the roof has a lot of room for improvement. But it is tight. It is too wide in general. I think here I will contact my saddler of least confidence in the spring and have the eyelets moved.
Doors admittedly need to be bent tight as well. Nothing fits right out of the box. But that is usual I think.
What does not convince me is the connection of A- to B- and C-pillar. This is only held by a small screw. Since I will have to see if I am convinced in the long term.

All in all, I am so far satisfied. The quality is largely in line with expectations.

Attachments

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
its dripping leaks along the sewing lines... upon close inspection on a sunny day you can actually see light through the sewn pinholes! very pissed

Try tent seam sealer for the sewing line holes as it helps.

ToddJK

I have just ordered one of these top covers as a replacement the styme that look like checkerboard sew pattern..
I AM VERY DISAPPOINTED!! this thing leaks more than my old worn out cover!! super pissed after almost 2 hrs to install

If it's a long the seam, then at least that's an easy fix with seam sealer. Could also apply seam tape after the sealer to make sure it's fully sealed.

Another option is to use silicone and thin it down with mineral spirits or paint thinner. Test on a small section of vinyl to make sure no damage or discoloration happens. Then you can carefully apply it with a small paint brush and really get it in the seams. Two-three applications on the inside and out, guarantee it won't leak. I've done that to many tarps, nylon and canvas where they leaked at the seams. Didn't leak anymore after that.

Last edited:
Reactions: OBX

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try tent seam sealer for the sewing line holes as it helps.
I've got the 2-man. Never had any leaks with it. I did treat the seams with beeswax though. Was taught to do this on any new sewn material many years ago, maybe that is why I've not had issues?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks