• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wiper motor swap

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are there any heads ups on doing this swap?
The manual says to use a 10mm socket to access an invissible set of bolts throuugh a hole the size
of a spider monks fist.
Thanks,
Bruce

MuleMac01

Military vehicle collector
Steel Soldiers Supporter
ok look on top of the firewall above the wiper motor ther should be a hole prob 3inches by 2 inches

the ez way to do this is take off the hood, might be ez if you had another person help you do this because you can't get a tool in there nor your hands. but with the hood removed you can see and get your fingers in there untighting the 2 10mm nuts but not all the way just enought to loseing it then untighten the 3 bolts holding the motor to 2 fire wall and she should pop right out total time 20 mins

oh and fyi get a stick magnet incase you drop your socket or the nut in there

Attachments

Last edited:

bkwudzhom

OUT---FREAKING---STANDING!!! Simple answers to little stuff like that is what makes this site so great!

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some more pointers for future help.
Turns out that if you remove the three mounting bolts first, you can grap the assembly and push it up to the top where you can easily access the two nuts without taking the hood off. If you pop it off and it drops down you can easily get it back up with a screwdriver through the motor opening. It is pretty easy to get it off and the new one back on just using your fingers after you loosen it up. I got plenty of practise since I forgot to transfer the gasket that goes in the hole where the arm goes thru.
The really funny part is when I went to put fluid in the resovoir, I noticed that the suction tube had fallen off.
I have a feeling that that was the problem all along,
but it was many years ago when I first looked at it.
Well, it works great now.:jumpin:
Bruce

tbearatkin

any hints for getting the nut off the motor after you have it out? Pretty sure I have to get a wrench behind to hold the shaft in place but there is a big piece of plastic in the way. New motor did not come with one so I do not want to break it since I will have to reuse it.

Thanks Bones

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry, don't have an answer for that one. It's been a while since I played with that one.
Bruce

tbearatkin

Two motors side by side then a picture of each motor. Do not lose that little metal bracket when you take the linkage apart inside that monkey hole. It is part of the socket that the ball of the bracket goes into. Now to get that bracket off without destroying the parts I might need for the new motor.

Note: when taking a break to pick your bride up for lunch and you leave your chrome tools out in the sun when you return and pick one up it most assuredly will be a mite hot!!

Attachments

Last edited:

jj

As i recall, it isn't completely necessary to remove the 10mm screws on the linkage. It is a sheet metal clamp on the ball joint of the motor shaft. It just requires loosening. And yes, removing the wiper motor itself first, makes it possible to lift the whole assembly to the top of the access hole. The whole job looks much worse than it really is. Good luck.

Terracoma

As i recall, it isn't completely necessary to remove the 10mm screws on the linkage. It is a sheet metal clamp on the ball joint of the motor shaft. It just requires loosening. And yes, removing the wiper motor itself first, makes it possible to lift the whole assembly to the top of the access hole. The whole job looks much worse than it really is. Good luck.
I just took apart an M1028 from top to bottom, and this is exactly how I did it.

[thumbzup]

Last edited:

tbearatkin

Motor is out but no luck getting the nut off the bracket. I tried clamping the bracket and the shaft just turned. Looking closely at the new motor I do not believe now that there is a spot on the shaft to hold it from moving. The flat spot is where the bracket is seated. I will go out and study it again. If I cant figure it out I will have to break that plastic piece off so I can get some vice grips in there to grab that shaft to hold it.

Hope the nut does not have reverse threads.

boomer431

You should be able to hold the bracket with pliers or visegrips and break the nut loose. The bracket has flats on it so it will index to the motor. The rubber grommets that the firewall bolts go through will be transfered also . One I think has a ground strap on it for the motor. You may want to hook up the wires and operate it to make sure the wipers are it the park position. You will need to ground the motor case to do this.

tbearatkin

Wiper Motor Replacement
First read the CUCV tm9-2320-289-34 to change the wiper motor.

Direction that came with the new motor clearly said do not try to energize motor without it being hooked up to the vehicle.

1. make sure your wipers are in the correct "Park" position

2. disconnect battery.

3. disconnect all washer rubber hoses (3) mark which goes where but the washer tank hose goes in the middle.

4. Make a note or mark which wires go where and disconnect.

5. Take off bolts that mount the motor. (8mm)

6. refer to earlier post for the monkey hole

7. maneuver motor around until you can see the nuts inside the monkey hole.

9. loosen nuts on bracket using 10mm wrench. You choice on if you remove them all the way or not but if you remove them all the way you will need a magnet to get them out of the monkey hole.

10. Remove motor and compare against new motor to make sure they are the same

11. Remove nut off of bracket see pictures below. I used a breaker bar that fit over the bracket. (vice grips did not work a vice might).

12. Use old spacers and gaskets and put on new motor Make sure your bracket is installed as pictured in the manual your new motor should be parked in the correct position.

13. remove rubber spacers off old motor and put on new motor.

14. insert motor bracket back into hole and attach to wiper arms and tighten nuts back down.

15. mount motor onto firewall and attach a ground wire

16. attach all wire and hoses back up reattach battery cables and test your motor.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks