• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

wiper motor trouble

Hello all ss members and good evening.Well the wiper motor gremlins are at it again.I have already replaced my air operated wiper motors and now I am having trouble again.
My motors are the plastic type,are the metal ones any better?Secondly,I am now suspecting that the real problem may lie in the air tanks.When I bleed the condensate out of them I can find tiny rust particles in the discharge.I am thinking that some of those particles may be making their way to the wiper motor.I looked online and there are a few inline filters that I could add,5 micron seems to be the lowest micron I can find.Unfortunetly I dont know how many CFM's the motors use either.So what do you think?
I am also intrested in going to an electric set up.I see OD Iron sells electric motors at a reasonable price.Can I still use my Anco wiper arms with these motors?Does anybody make an aftermarket kit similar to the A3 elctric kit?Thought of fabricating something myself If I can't find a good solution.
Thanks for yout time and help,metalworker393
Everybody drive safe in this wintery weather we are having here.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm switching over to electric exactly like the OD Iron kits except in 12 volt. The kits I'm using come with arms and wipers, so I won;t need to use my Anco set up, but once I get it installed I'll LYK if you could have used them.

x-ray

On one of my trucks I switched to the OD Iron 24V "aftermarket" style jeep electric wipers. They actually work very well. They are colored red/black plastic, but durable enough - I just spray painted them OD to match the inside. They are so far 100% reliable unlike the air wipers I had replaced a few times.

I've been chasing demons on another truck's air motor/cylinders, and think I will probably upgrade to another OD Iron set. They are not mil-spec, but are (in my opinion) way better than the air wipers, I've been dealing with. You can buy an OD Iron set for the price of one NOS plastic air cylinder that may or may not work for long.

Best of luck

Akicita

I put RainX on my windows last summer and haven't run the wipers since. I also have air wipers, and they are not very effective. So, I really like the RainX solution. Of course, you still need working wipers. I only offer RainX as a suggestion of what you can do in addtion to repairing, or replacing your wiper set.

Attachments

big1096

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm having a new problem with my driver side wiper. The wiper arm gear keeps coming off of the end of the drive inside the motor. I took it apart and recentered the wiper arm, and put it back together. When I ran it last night, it worked for a few miles. I hit a bump and it swing out too far to the left and came off the drive again. The motor still runs, and if I push down on the gear through the hole on top it catches and works again. At least until it reaches the far left and comes off again.

Is the drive gear adjustable at the arm? Any other suggestions?

treeguy

Has anyone ever tried to install a pantograph style wiper to eliminate the annoying u shape that is left right at eye level/ I looked at some boat style wiper set ups that might work. How about a wiper blade that is 2" longer for a better sweep length in the vertical direction?

wsucougarx

I have replaced all my plastic wiper motors with the metal ones. The metals ones are much easier to rebuild and maintain. The drawback in the plastic units are the O-rings. Many times guys put air tool oil or somekind of oil in the plastic motors thinking it'll help. But it only causes more problems in that the O-ring swells up.

paulfarber

I replaced the standard wipers with the 41-01 arms and 31-13 blades and have significantly better visibility.

The arms are adjustable to you can move the blade right up to the bottom of the motor and get a nice clear view.

Spray paint the arms black (they come in natural metal so some flat black makes them look much better.

My passenger motor needed some taps to get it to work.. but they work good now.. much better than the manual wipers on my 42 jeep.

hornetfan

I was just looking at various wiper solutions and noticed that the A3 wiper blades are 14" instead of 12" length. There are a couple of marine pantograph wiper motors that should fit but I haven't finished my research project. One that looks like a good prospect is from Speich. I'm trying to find one that is pantograph and has 2 speeds plus intermittent. The Speich Nautic "E" is two speed, wipe angles 45, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100, 110 degree, and will park either side. 12v and 24v models. 316 SS Arms either radial (pendulum) or pantograph and can be had with spray nozzle in the arm. Arm length of both can be adjusted (cut to length) from 11" to 21". It is self parking so should work with switch with intermittent feature such as Cole-Hersee makes.

More as I find it. I think I successfully uploaded their catalog.

Attachments

rlwm211

I spray a little Silicone spray into the air line leading up to the plastic wiper motors I have and this keeps them working for me. This is the 100% silicone spray and not the mix with petroleum that some of the sprays labelled Silicone have.

Works for me....Just my two cents

RL