• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

wiring a deuce for a 12 volt trailer

fireman_316

does any one have in info on how to reduce the deuce's 24 volt trailer plug to be able to pull any 12 volt trailer I was told today that the 24/12 reducer would effect the lights on the truck too

KsM715

Put "M818 24volt to 12volt trailer lights" in the search bar.

I dont know how to post links but this thread has a nice write up on how to build an adapter so you can use both mil. and civy trailers.

I know its for an M818 but you could build something similar for the deuce.

1stDeuce

To address your question specifically, a 24-12V converter would be used to put 12V to the back of the truck such that it would draw from both batts rather than just one. That would then actuate to the civi trailer connector via three 24V relays for Left stop/turn, Right stop/turn, and tail lights. If you're running trailer brakes, a 12V feed would also go to the trailer brake controller, with another 24V relay to trigger the 12V brake switch signal to the brake controller.

Not that it's the right way to do it, and given long term use, it's not ideal, but I ran a 12V wire from the low battery to the back of the truck, then actuated the 12V to trailer turn signals/brakes via 12V relays that I had laying around (driven by 24V of course...) It will draw down the one battery if used A LOT, but for my daylight use (no tail light feed) it gets me by with brake lights and turn signals. Incidentally, the 12v relays draw a bit more power running on 24V, but it's still small. Seems OK for intermittent use so far, but they click LOUD!! :) They do get pretty warm if you leave them on continuous, which is why I didn't run a tail light relay. Couldn't find 24V relays, too cheap to buy a 24-12V converter.

YMMV.
:)