• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

wiring a light bar into a Deuce

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey guys I will be the absolute first to admit that I do not care for electrical things< I dont even care about voltage I dislike them all equally! OK I got that out of the way. I am going to be mounting a
Ultra-Tow "brand" 48 watt LED amber light bar onto my truck. The lightbar only was available with a cigarette lighter/power point plug in for power. I do not want that. In looking at it it should have two wires inside the power cord corect, a positive and a negative. Is there any reason why I cannot just cut off the existing cord and wire it directly into my own hidden wires already on the truck? I will fuse the circuit after the switch with the 10 amp fuse they are presently using, so I cut the plug in off of the cord on the light bar, I take the TWO WIRES in there and splice them into my existing wires and switch. I have 12 volt to the light. Am I doing anything wrong guys??

All comments and suggestions welcome
Thanks
Karl

AZORRAT

Please clarify wether you are adding a new lightbar, or replacing and existing unit. Also voltage is very crucial unfortunately, so, lightbar requirement (on manufactured sticker), and voltage you are currently running on your deuce need to be known.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZORRAT

If you are confident you have 12v from the truck and the light bar is designed to accept that then you are good as long as you obviously get positive and negative polarity correct. Also you must check if the chassis of your light is grounded. If it is and you mount it to any other grounded location on your truck you will send 24v through your 12v system and fry anything not capable of handling that voltage. This is of course if your deuce is still operating at 24volts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
AZORRAT Thanks you very much for the info on the grounding, remember my severe ignorance on wiring! This is the info that I needed now I feel confident that I can do this! Thanks again AZORRAT for you profound suggestions!

Karl

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you post more detailed info on your light and your power source, a better answer can be provided.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Taking power from one battery will kill both in the series. The advantage of univolt lights is the work on our trucks as is.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks