• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wiring HMMWV tachometer in M1028 truck

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm attempting to install a HMMWV tachometer in my M1028 truck. I'm installing a new 6.5 diesel engine, therefore I don't need the 6.2 vacuum pump anymore, so I purchased a new HMMWV tachometer and sending unit. But before I go to the effort to design and fabricate a custom bracket in my truck, I wanted to temporarily wire it up and spin the sending unit to make sure everything worked. I wired 24.2v to the appropriate posts on the rear of the tach, and then rigged a redneck pigtail to the wires of the sending unit. I then chucked the drive rod of the sending unit in my Milwaukee drill, and spun the sender to 1700 rpm. But the tach needle never budged. What am I missing? It is my understanding that the black sending unit is the correct one for this tach. I reworked the connections on the pigtail and verified continuity, but for the life of me I cannot get the tach needle to move. Is the tach case supposed to be grounded also? Thanks in advance for your help and comments.

IMG_3871 (2).jpg HMMWV Tach (2).jpg
HMMWV tach signal sender with female-side plug.JPG IMG_4972.JPGIMG_4973.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks