• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wiring mods!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I ordered some Packard connectors from Saturn earlier in the week. Yesterday I decided to try my recent acquirement of the Daniels AF8 crimper on a new harness. The trailer plug on the back of the M108 is mounted to a bracket welded to the 1/4" plate steel above the stiff leg mounts. The factory wiring just wrapped around the stiff leg and was exposed to elements and bumps from stuff hanging from the crane. My idea was to knock a hole in the plate and run the trailer harness through the hole. a 1 1/8 hole saw made the cut cleanly but the replacement rear harness's trailer plug is permanantly wired to the harness. Here's where the wiring mods came in. It would have been easy to just chop it and reconnect it with butt or spade connectors but I wanted to keep the Packard theme going. When I bought the connectors from Saturn I also bought these tags. http://saturnsurplus.com/electrical/4649.htm Since the trailer plug had the wires tagged I traced them up a foot and stamped and tagged them with these new tags. Once done, I chopped and stripped back all the wires. Using the Daniels AF8 crimper, I crimped on the new Packard connectors on both ends. The crimper is definitly the Cadillac of crimpers for this work. Now the female connectors are too big to pass through the AF8 but they have a spring steel collar to keep tension on the connector. This can be slid off and the crimp completed. The crimping wasn't a quicky job but the end result is a factory appearing and durable waterproof job. Now I can't wait for my new cab to arrive so I can get this thing completley wired and ready for road use. I'll post pics of the completed work by days end.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Matt in Ft Lauderdale has one for me but its up in Live Oak. With luck he'll bring it back one day but I suspect I'll need to go get it.

devilman96

Well... I gotta swing ole Betsy here by the fab shop in Sanford to bend up some window frames which I am now obsessed with doing. That would proably take 2-4 hours with BSing and story swapping... Thats over half way to dead oak...

If ya wanna go together great... If not I could prolly make a weekend out of the ordeal... Besides... I need to get outta the metal shavings and grinding dust for a few days anyways. Want to test my ideas on a planned trip with time to spare, get some mileage readings, see where I screwed up, etc... Think you can swing getting out of your duties for a Sat Sun?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can escape work on weekends but can't escape childcare for the neices. Thats why I get nothing done. Dangit!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks