• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

wiring reverse engineering

rottiedog

One of my new trucks works great, one doesn't.

Wiring issue with horn, lights, starter....

I am kind of blaming everything on the military wiring for lights. Does anybody have the instructions for install of the military wiring I'd like to see that so I can reverse the harness.

Where is the ground for the steering column. I had to rig up a switch for my horn because I can't find the ground.

Possibly the same issue for the starter. I replaced the starter and the starter relay (nice having a spare truck) but neiter were the issue. Followed the manual and jumpered the ignition switch on the starter relay and things worked. I checked the voltage from the ignition and it was low at 6 to 9 volts. Not enough to actuate the starter relay. I am rigging up yet another switch to start it.

Something is dragging down the voltage from the ignition. Might just be a bad switch but I think it is either a missing ground or someting fromt he military wiring. I pulled the fuse box. There are only a few wires still hooked up for the miltary wires. A couple of the stock wires are folded and taped.

I have the truck on the road tomorrow with my redneck engineering but I'd like to get it back to stock.

thanks for any help.

Mike

Jones

Do a search for deuce wiring diagram; maybe in the electrical section. There were several posts a while back and someone put up a real good diagram that should help you troubleshoot your wiring problem.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Horn ground - ground strap accross the joint at the steering box
also 95% of M880 wiring issues aredue to factory grounds.
The blackout wiring is an add on and other than the blackout switch killing power to factory lights, should cause too many issues.

rottiedog

Re: RE: wiring reverse engineering

Bob H said:
Horn ground - ground strap accross the joint at the steering box
also 95% of M880 wiring issues aredue to factory grounds.
The blackout wiring is an add on and other than the blackout switch killing power to factory lights, should cause too many issues.
definitly NOT seeing a ground strap anywhere near the steering box. Can anybody snap a shot of where it is??

I checked the other m880 (which seems to be working fine) and can't find the strap on there either......

rottiedog

wierd stuff going on but it might be normal. Tough to tell as the Haynes manual kinds of sucks for wiring.

Trying to figure out why the charging system is not working. Ne alternator, new regulator. I did the checks from the manual such as grounding the field on the alt. This did work and the alt is pumping out 15 volts. Checking the wires to the regulator is where this went wierd.

Yellow wire checked good pin to pin and pin to ground.
Red wire was good pin to pin but was short to ground.

Checked the manual again and saw that this goes to a couple other locations via a splice. I unhooked the ignition control unit and the ballast resistor. Didn'st see anything else in line with these wires but they still read short to ground.

How could my truck even run if these were shorted unless they are supposed to be grounds.

Haven't compared them to my other truck but will in the morning.

I have found some very usefull info on ramchargercentral and will be doing the ampmeter mod tomorrow which may fix everything......

thanks for any advice

Mike

rottiedog

seems to be all fixed!!!!

I did the amp gauge bypass and everything is working. I don't know why the instructions have you hook the red and black wire together under the dash. That doesn't make any sense but I did it anyway and all is good.

Took it for a test ride and was happy till the drivers side wiper decided to stay down.....

Next project....wiper repair.....

Going to do the amp bypass on the other truck before I pass ti to my dad. It definitly improves the starting and the charging!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks