• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

witch oil for m35 transmission/transfer case

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
go to any Napa and tell them to order part # 65-205. That will get you a 5 gallon bucket of GL-1.

Westech

CPL
If GL-1 is not out there (wisconsin it a SO only, dont know why) but any 80/90 with a MT-1 on the back will work great. If you are going to drive your Deuce in the cold you will want a 75/140 gear oil in the trans and t case and for the axles use amsoil 50W full syn oil.

HeadWizard

OK, I'm confused :? . Why would you want to use 75/140 in the cold? I just went out to the shop and checked both a bottle of 80/90 and 75/140 and the 75/140 is definitely thicker. Last time I checked,in the cold use thinner and in the hot use thicker.

What am I missing here :?:

I recently switched trans fluid to 75-90 Semi Synthetic (GL5 & MT1) and it improved the shifting quite a bit. Mobil apparently has a synthetic MT1 fluid that's 50w that they recommend for the transmissions in Deuces. I've got my rep trying to find some. Will advise when I find some.

Westech

CPL
ok here is oil 101..... in a multi weight the first number is its rating at 32* so 75 is its flow rate at 32* and the second numbers is its flow rate at around 180* (I cant remember) so the 75/140 will flow better at 32* then the 80/90. now flow rate is on a molecular leval not in the drive way.

CGarbee

HeadWizard said:
Mobil apparently has a synthetic MT1 fluid that's 50w that they recommend for the transmissions in Deuces. I've got my rep trying to find some. Will advise when I find some.
If you can't find it, let me know... I've got a buddy who installs it in the trucks at his shop (Spicer actually recommends 50 wt for these boxes nowdays) and I can get it in five gallon buckets or drums. I'll be riding up to NoVA in a month so getting it from me to you wouldn't be that hard (I've got familly in Madison County and will be making a run over to the Ft. Meade are so I'll be going past your location...).

HeadWizard

I have now seen the light on the oil viscosity issue :idea:

I called Exxon/Mobil corporate commercial tech line and discussed this whole MV gear oil / trans fluid thing until :deadhorse:

He's apparently had to answer this question multiple times from many sources. Mobil's testing has shown the best results with "DELVAC SYNTHETIC TRANSMISSION FLUID 50". It meets both GL1 and MT1. It is synthetic and has all the positive properties of a synthetic fluid. It is expensive because it is a synthetic. I found it from one of the Mobil oil wholesalers for $119 for a 4 gallon case ($29.75 a gallon) or a 5 gallon bucket for $139. That's cost. If anyone wants some, let me know.

YES I know, many of us prefer using the less costly GL1 and that's fine! Opinions about oils and lubes is kinda like rear ends, we all have them, but they all are different :mrgreen:

jeli

Here's a blub from Amsoil about their motorcycle oil.
"AMSOIL Synthetic Motorcycle Oils not only provide superior protection for motorcycle engines, they also provide superior gear protection, meeting API GL-1 gear lube viscosity requirements. AMSOIL Synthetic 10W-40 Motorcycle Oil (MCF) meets SAE 80W-90 gear lube requirements, while AMSOIL Synthetic 20W-50 Motorcycle Oil (MCV) meets SAE 90 gear lube viscosity requirements." It's $33.80 on the Amsoil website but another option.

JasonS

CGarbee said:
HeadWizard said:
Mobil apparently has a synthetic MT1 fluid that's 50w that they recommend for the transmissions in Deuces. I've got my rep trying to find some. Will advise when I find some.
If you can't find it, let me know... I've got a buddy who installs it in the trucks at his shop (Spicer actually recommends 50 wt for these boxes nowdays) and I can get it in five gallon buckets or drums. I'll be riding up to NoVA in a month so getting it from me to you wouldn't be that hard (I've got familly in Madison County and will be making a run over to the Ft. Meade are so I'll be going past your location...).
My fifties era Reo civilian owners manual indicates 50wt oil as correct for Spicer transmissions. I would guess Spicer has always recommended 50wt oil and the GL was a compromise the government made to make for easier supply chain.

acetomatoco

Witch oil is what they make Witch Hazel out of... Go to any farm tractor store... even Tractor Supply and get a pail of GL1... just like it says in your LO. The trucks have lasted since 1949 with it...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks