• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WMO cenrtifuge questions

midcounty

I have been doing some reading on here about burning wmo in my M35A2 with the LDS-465-1A engine. I have a few questions about filtering it. I plan to set up a recovery trailer to retrieve the wmo from a few places that have offered it for free. My plan was to filter it as I pump it into the tank on the trailer. I am intending to use an air powered diaphram pump run off the air system of the truck. I originally planned to set up a manifold off oil filters and water separating fuel filters. Now after reading I am wondering if I should use a centrifuge. Now keep in mind that I want to keep this as cheap as possible, and not consume too much time filtering it. So now for the questions. Will the centrifuge oil filter systems off trucks like Macks work for this? Will the pulsing of the diaphram pump interfere with the performance of the centrifuge? Do you mount the centrifuge before or after the pump? Would several standard filters clean and dewater as well as a centrifuge, or is the centrifuge really all that? How to you know if your centrifuge gets full of water while you are pumping? Any comments will be greatly appreciated. I am really new to this concept, but I am determined to run my truck as cheap as possible ;)

Kohburn

you should be able to run a recirculating pump with centrifuge on your holsing tank during the ride back home with your liquid gold. I would just use particulate filters yo catch the big stuff when pumping it onto the trailer.

area52

most small centrifuges require 100psi and warm/hot oil to properly clean the oil. Some larger (bowl) centrifuges are slower and require less pressure and temp. What press. does the diaphragm pump put out?

Filers require changing every so often, centrifuge does not but its more expensive initially.

I would bring the oil back to your home/shop and heat it up and let it settle first to get the large stuff and water out. then fine filter or centrifuge.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Someone on this board has a real nice home built cenrtifuge in the classifieds.
I also just won the bid on 8 big fuel filters from GL. Hit me with a pm if you think you might go with filter idea.

frodobaggins

To answer your question, you won't be able to run a centrifuge as you pump from where you pick it up into your storage tank on the truck. Unless you want to wait a few hours.

southdave

This what I have, just got to assemble.
1. My pump is one out of 6.2 diesel ( the oil pump) coupled to 1/2 motor got the Idea from a post here = free motor was 15 buck
2. I have a goldenrod, fuel filter in line before the pump =$ 25
3. my tank is cool, s gl crap lot purchase. I have install a heating element out of a water in it = bonus off a min bid
4 centrifuge is a dieslecraft 75? should take about an hour 15 min to process 50gal $ 125 off ebay

It all going to be mounted in a 6.2 engine can inverted ( for spills ) and have appropriate door cut into for serving

Last edited:

midcounty

Ok, I am thinking now that I will run filters to the tank for the initial pick up. Then I will take it home and let it sit to settle and warm up. Then I may set up an electric pump and centrifuge to run it through and into a larger tank at my shop. I didn't realize wmo would need to be heated to work in the centrifuge. I knew veg oil was that way, but though motor oil was ok with out warming.

southdave

Works alot better to heat, not an issue when it 80 degree out. you can use to cut it with diesel do the same thing. ( thin it down) Sounds like you have a plan, I just need to get home long enough to finish enough the 20 things I got going. Meanwhile I sit on this website...... Another thing somewhere around 110 degree the water starts to separate form the oil.

area52

Here is what I plan on running when ever the money falls from the sky.

-

they have some good stuff on that site.

edit: just click on the little bar, the link is not showing up very well.

midcounty

Here is what I plan on running when ever the money falls from the sky.

-

they have some good stuff on that site.

edit: just click on the little bar, the link is not showing up very well.
I looked at those, and it sounds like a great idea. I just can't afford that right now. I am trying to set my whole system, including trailer, up for less the 500 bucks. We will have to wait and see if I can do that.

hemichallenger

This is what i use. The big tank has 2 15 micron filters and an old 220 motor and pump. Sometimes i just pump it in the deuce. The other tank is air powered and run it through 3 fuel filters 2 are separitors. I use this when i mix with diesel to run my rv. boat and 24valve cummins in a dodge. Have used this setup for about 4 years.

Attachments

midcounty

This is what i use. The big tank has 2 15 micron filters and an old 220 motor and pump. Sometimes i just pump it in the deuce. The other tank is air powered and run it through 3 fuel filters 2 are separitors. I use this when i mix with diesel to run my rv. boat and 24valve cummins in a dodge. Have used this setup for about 4 years.
That loks like what I had in mind to build. What kind of separators are those? Does the air power pump pulsate alot or have any effect on your separators?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unless it's a pretty small diaphragm pump, I not sure the deuce air system can keep up. Those things consume a bunch of air.

I don't thing a centrifuge would work with a diaphragm pump either. I'd think it wouldn't have a steady enough flow to keep the centrifuge spinning.

hemichallenger

I am not sure who made the seperators they have no id on them. They came off a couple kws i cut up. I see them on some macks and other trucks also. They use a baldwin pf7680 i pay about $5. each for. The other filter is a bf957 baldwin. They are on the suction side of the pump. I do not know how many cfm it takes to run the pump as i run it off a large compressor. I find it works best running the pump as slow as it will pump that way the filters do not fill up until they are plugged. I have a regulator and if i have a hot day and a good mix it will pump as low as 50 psi. If it is cold and mixing a lot of oil about 90 psi to flow. I have a good steady flow unless i drop the pressure way low.

mikew

Here's what I'm doing...

15 gallons of diesel mixed with 40 gallons of WMO in a 55 gallon barrel.

I circulate it for about an hour through a Goldenrod water separator with #40 mesh screen filter in it ( to catch the big chunks) on the suction side of a cheap chinese/harbor freight 12 volt, 240 GPH "Marine Utility Pump" that pushes into a 10 micron filter. After an hour it's turned the barrel about 4 times.

Believe it or not that cheap pump ($40) will fill a 5 gallon jerry can in 80 seconds, that makes it 230 gph!

I got the filters and mounts at Tractor Supply.

Attachments

scopionf89

Here's what I'm doing...

I circulate it for about an hour through a Goldenrod water separator with #40 mesh screen filter in it ( to catch the big chunks) on the suction side of a cheap chinese/harbor freight 12 volt, 240 GPH "Marine Utility Pump" that pushes into a 10 micron filter. After an hour it's turned the barrel about 4 times.

Believe it or not that cheap pump ($40) will fill a 5 gallon jerry can in 80 seconds, that makes it 230 gph!

That is a realy cool set up. How much did every thing barrel pump fittngs and all cost? Affter running your set up for an hour the oil and fule is ready to run you duece with out mixing any adishionl diesel or causing any harm to your motor?

This set up could make the duece more fule effecent than a hibred car given all the car shops you could get used oil frome.

Josh

I just use a HF diaphram pump, pumped threw a few napa filters, one 25 micron the other 10 micron, I just pump the oil right threw it, into 5 gallon cans and just pour it into the truck. Havent had an issue related to the WMO yet on my truck, been doing this for the last 9 months or so with aprox 700 gallons of wmo been burned.

Here's what I'm doing...

Mike, how do you have that pump hooked up electrically? i see a power wire comming off and it looks like you're grounded to the barrel. car battery charger/jump box thats pugged into the wall?

(by the way, i should have finished reading this thread before going off looking up things to make a filter setup, if i use one like yours, i could do this for about 150-170~ bucks as opposed to al the s*#t i was looking through :jumpin: )

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks